Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will I still get direct deposit after amending my tax return?

I filed my taxes and they were accepted. A couple days later, I got a W-2 for a job I worked a couple weeks into 2016 and forgot about. I came to TT to create an amended return so I could print it and mail it in after I got my refund, since I knew the W-2 would generate a little more refund, instead of me owing money. 

My problem is that now, my return says I will be receiving a paper check I am assuming due to the amendment. However, I cannot e-file an amended return so everything the IRS received has not changed. 

My question is to see how I can be sure that I will receive the refund in direct deposit? I know the IRS has my direct deposit info, BUT I gave TT permission to deduct my filing fee from my refund, which means they will get it first. How can I be assured that the refund from my original filing will not take 20 weeks to get to me?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

An amended return can only by filed by mail and you will receive a paper check for any refund due from filing it.    The two returns do not crossover, they're processed separately.  Nothing you've entered for the amended return will interfere in any way with the original return.  All you've done is enter it, it doesn't go anywhere, meaning nothing goes to the IRS,

For an additional W-2, don't forget  to also amend any state return you may have already filed.

View solution in original post

42 Replies
Anita01

An amended return can only by filed by mail and you will receive a paper check for any refund due from filing it.    The two returns do not crossover, they're processed separately.  Nothing you've entered for the amended return will interfere in any way with the original return.  All you've done is enter it, it doesn't go anywhere, meaning nothing goes to the IRS,

For an additional W-2, don't forget  to also amend any state return you may have already filed.

Will he still get the direct deposit yes or no

I've done the same thing

One is paper check and the other is direct deposit

Amended returns can only be mailed.  It can take them 16 weeks for the IRS to process them.  And they only mail checks for refunds.   After 3 weeks you can track it here,    <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x-/wheres-my-amended-return-1">http...>

Oh the first refund from the original return still comes by Direct Deposit.  Amending doesn’t affect the first return.  In fact you should not even amend until the first return has fully processed and you get the first refund or your tax due payment has cleared. 

I did the same thing.  But I amended my tax info before I got the direct deposit.  How long will I have to wait.

To Wait for the first refund?  Amending should not affect that.  What does the IRS say?  IRS Where’s my refund     <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/refunds/">https://www.irs.gov/refunds/</a>

I did the same thing.  But I amended my return before I received my direct deposit.  How will this effect me getting my refund.

@joannebish I answered you right above.  The amended return should not effect getting the first original refund.  Was your first return Accepted?  If you mailed the amended return before the first return was accepted you will have problems.

I didn't mail anything yet but I was supposed to get my direct deposit today and it's not there

I've read where people say it is only in paper check but if there is EFT info from original return the amended return could be beposited my 1040x was accepted on 06/26/19 and deposited on 09/18/19 so its possible I would say it depends on the circumstances

I've read where people say it is only in paper check but if there is EFT info from original return the amended return could be beposited my 1040x was accepted on 06/26/19 and deposited on 09/18/19 so its possible I would say it depends on the circumstances. In addition my where's my amended return never updated it still say received

I'm sorry it was received 07/26/19 by mail no doubt and DD 09/18/19

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies