turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will I receive my money from TurboTax Intuit class action lawsuit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Under the agreement, Intuit will provide restitution to taxpayers that were charged for filing their taxes while using the commercial TurboTax Free Edition for tax years 2016 through 2018 even though those taxpayers were eligible for the free version of TurboTax offered as part of the IRS Free File program, according to AP.

Consumers eligible for restitution will be automatically notified by the company, and will receive a direct payment of approximately $30 for each year. so about $90 max

You will get a payment only if you are a Covered Consumer as defined in the settlement agreement.

Here is the definition of "Covered Consumer."

"Covered Consumer" means any individual, or individuals if a joint return was filed, who in Tax Years 2016, 2017, or 2018 was (1) eligible to use an Intuit IRS Free File Product; (2) began his or her tax returns using a TurboTax Free Edition Product; (3) was informed that he or she was ineligible to use a TurboTax Free Edition Product; (4) subsequently paid to use a TurboTax Paid Product, and (5) had not used the Intuit IRS Free File Product in a previous tax year.

https://www.newsweek.com/intuit-turbotax-settlement-cheated-customers-refunded-lawsuit-restitution-1... 

trish_201
Returning Member

• When will the payment start being distributed for people who ahould have received the free filing 

@trish_201 - that is up to the attorney general's office in your state. 

trish_201
Returning Member

I beleive all 50 states are involved.

@trish_201 - that is correct, but each attorney general for each state would be responsible for their constituents.  This is posted on the New York State website: 

https://ag.ny.gov/turbotax-settlement-faqs#q6

How will the consumer receive money from the settlement?

Restitution will be distributed to eligible consumers automatically by a professional third-party fund administrator. Consumers will not have to submit a claim to receive restitution. A web site will be created with more information and contact information for the administrator.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies