Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why would my federal tax refund be delayed? I filed 1040 form, no itemizations.

IRS website says my refund has been delayed beyond normal processing times, but gives no further info.  It was a simple tax return with no itemizations, no charitable contributions, etc.  Just W2's and unemployment and 401K distribution that had the required 20% withheld.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ee-ea
Level 15

The IRS says they send refunds in 21 days for 9 out of 10 efiled returns. The date is an estimate, an educated guess, a rough idea. In other words, it should not be relied on. The IRS can not say how long that other 1 of the 10 will take. All you can do now is, wait. Wait for the pay off of your interest free loan to the government. Did you believe that the IRS is omnipotent, omnibenevolent and omniscient ?

Check out https://www.irs.gov/wheres-my-refund   

TurboTax gets no information from the IRS after the IRS accepts you return, so no one at TT knows that your refund is delayed or why it may be delayed.  If the IRS wants more information from you they will request it by sending a letter.  All you can do is watch the IRS refund site----that is your only source of information now.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies