drenee2015

Why is my federal still pending?

I filed Feb.1 at 5:49 pm and today is Feb 4 and both my returns are still pending.

AndreaC1

Why is my federal still pending?

Your federal return will show that way until the IRS either accepts or rejects your return. And the state will remain in pending status until after federal has been accepted. But there is no need to worry. Federal can remain in pending status for several days if the IRS is working on a backlog. See below for more details.

What does Pending mean?

Why is my state e-file still pending?
LatoyaLO

Why is my federal still pending?

Pending simply means that your e-filed return is on its way and that the government hasn't accepted or rejected it yet.

If you e-filed your return in January, it'll stay in Pending status until the IRS starts processing the backlog of returns.

After January, e-filed returns generally sit in Pending status for 24-48 hours before coming back as either Acceptedor Rejected. Sometimes state returns stay in Pending for several days or even longer.

If you contact the government or try look up your refund status while your return is still pending, don't be surprised if they tell you "no record found." This is normal; until the government starts reviewing and processing your return, they won't have any record of it.