Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

k-hilde17

Why does the amendment software not work with my mac?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies

The amend software is only for a Windows based computer.

To complete an amended return using a Mac you will need a download of the TurboTax desktop Mac edition.

See this TurboTax website for obtaining the Mac desktop software - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-...

I have tried both versions of software, both the Home and Business and the Free, Deluxe. Neither will open properly on my Mac after download and install. Is there another way to simply have my returns mailed to me? I am paying for the service after all.

@monetliset What tax year are you trying to amend?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I can't get the amendment software to download on my windows pc either. What do I need to do, I need to amend a 2019 return?

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

More guidance with amending for 2019 has been provided below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-return/00/27439

If you still need further assistance please contact Turbo Tax by referring to the information below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@Castle2442 wrote:

I can't get the amendment software to download on my windows pc either. What do I need to do, I need to amend a 2019 return?

Because it will not be released until Feb 27.   But no hurry because amended returns take up to 4 months to process.

You should *wait* until your return has been processed and you receive your refund or conformation that any tax due has been paid. (If you file an amended return while you first return is being processed it can cause extended delays for both returns if two returns are in the system at the same time). In addition, if the IRS makes any change on your original return, you might end up having to amend the amendment – a sticky process that can take a year or more).

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
369lisa
Returning Member

I use MAC Desktop turbotax and cannot amend the 2020 return. I was on line with a turbotax agent, and she should not help me, then hung up. please provide more MAC, DESKTOP support and advise how to amend 2020 return. After I open  my 2020 return, I don't see an option to amend the return. Under the the "amend a filed return", it opens up a new return, and does not pull in my 2020 data. Please help

@369lisa wrote:

I use MAC Desktop turbotax and cannot amend the 2020 return. I was on line with a turbotax agent, and she should not help me, then hung up. please provide more MAC, DESKTOP support and advise how to amend 2020 return. After I open  my 2020 return, I don't see an option to amend the return. Under the the "amend a filed return", it opens up a new return, and does not pull in my 2020 data. Please help

You first have to start the 2020 tax program and then use top menu bar  File-> Open Tax Return and locate your 2020 .tax file and open the 2020 tax return before  you can amend it.

369lisa
Returning Member

Did that. But CANNOT FIND AMEND A RETURN function in my 2020 return. The Amend a Return function opens up a blank file, and does not pull in the 2020 return.

Did you open your tax return first?  Then 

You should find Amend under

Federal Taxes or Personal (for Home & Business)

Other Tax Situations

369lisa
Returning Member

Yes, after opening my 2020 return, where is the option to Amend a Return. Cannot find it, and so the posted instructions are not helpful

369lisa
Returning Member

Should I switch my 2020 from Mac desktop to online version??

You can not switch from the Desktop program to the Online version.  You have to use the 2020 Desktop program to amend a 2020 return.  

Maybe it thinks you didn't file the original 2020 return?  Did you efile it?  I don't know if this will work for prior  year returns and on Mac but for Windows you need to go up to to menu item

File > Electronic Filing > Check Electronic Filing Status

Then save your return with the status. Go to File-Save.

Or go into your original return and go though the FILE tab and say you want to mail it.  Then you might need to print it out so it thinks you did.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies