66goblue

Why does an incorrect state tax return generate? How do I stop or disconnect it from my return?

I am retired and live in central Michigan, have no income or expenses in Illinois.  I purchased and downloaded Michigan for myself, plus Illinois and Indiana for preparing my kid's annual returns, for which I do not charge.  In addition to Michigan, an Illinois return is being generated with no allocated income or deductions - resulting in no tax due and no tax refund.  I can't find a way to disconnect Illinois from my return file.

SteamTrain

1) Open your tax return

2) get somewhere into the Federal section

3)  Go to the upper-left corner and click on:

<File<< Remove state Return

4) A pop-up window displays. Select the IL file and then hit the "Remove" button

5)  Save your tax file and it should be gone now.

____________________

hard to know why it showed up in your file.  Sometimes people create test files that were set on someone else's tax return, then change it to their own...and the other state was in the original file they started with...but you can get rid of it.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

SteamTrain

1) Open your tax return

<File<< Remove state Return

____________________