Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

cgmact

Why are you charging $39.99 refund processing fee?

This is a totally bogus fee. The way it was worded made it sound like that $39.99 was coming from TurboTax as the filing fee. This should have been explained more clearly and I do believe that the consumer should have to check some kind of box for understanding after it is explicitly explained what that $39.99 fee was for.

@cgmact Users do have to check such a box but sadly too many users are in a hurry to file and do not read carefully when they are clicking toward that button to file.

If your refund is enough to cover your TurboTax fees PLUS the extra “refund processing” fee of $40 ($45 in CA) and your forms are ready then when you are in the FILE section you can choose to have your fees deducted from your federal refund by a third party bank, who will take out your fees and send you the rest of your refund after the IRS issues the refund. 

Please make note that if your refund takes too long to arrive (IRS delays, etc.) then you will also be agreeing that the TurboTax fees can be extracted from your bank account even before your refund is issued by the IRS.  This comes as an unpleasant shock to many people every year.  

If you can possibly pay your fees upfront using a debit or credit card, it will save you that extra fee and ever more importantly, the possible aggravation and delays that are often the result of poor handling/poor customer service by that third party bank.  We see way too many instances where refunds are delayed for months when users choose refund processing. There have been lots of complaints; there are a number of things that can go wrong when you use refund processing.  I suggest avoiding that situation if at all possible.  

And....you can never pay state tax due from a federal refund, so do not expect that.   The state tax due has to be paid directly to your state.

How can I see my TurboTax  fees?   

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2565973-how-do-i-review-my-fees-in-turbotax-online

What is Refund Processing Service?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I have the same question. I am being charged an e-file fee of $20.00 and a $40.00 refund processing fee. I have never been charged this before. What is this? 

ee-ea
Level 15

I’m just wondering, if the Refund processing fee is so …. ‘Dicey’ why would TurboTax endorse or offer such routes that lead to unsatisfactory results?

ee-ea
Level 15

I have read said terms. I’m asking about all these reoccurring problems along with delayed serves that we are having with and after

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Can you provide more information as to what reoccurring problems you are experiencing? 

@fattdaddy71

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
llwk78

So just to be clear, the $40 fee has to either be paid up front with a credit card, or it will be taken out of the refund at the end, but either way, $40 will be charged?  On top of the $29.99 fee for filing online?  Or if you pay your $29.99 fee for TurboTax online with a credit card upfront you won't owe the $40 fee?

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

If you choose to have your Turbo Tax Fees deducted from your refund, there is a fee. Turbo Tax is not a bank. Therefore, Santa Barbara bank charges a fee for their service. If you choose this option, there is a page that explains the process and you have to agree to it to move on. After you read the page and choose not to agree to it, then you will have to pay your fees before you file. 

What is Refund Processing Service?

@llwk78

llwk78

Do you pay the $40 refund processing fee either way?

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Only if you choose to have your Turbo Tax Fees deducted from your refund.

It’s just funny how fast it goes from free to $39 to $78.

that’s my bad though. I’ll pay for this lesson.

@fattdaddy71   Well Deluxe is $39 for federal.  State is another $39 or you selected to Pay with Refund for $39.  

How to review your fees

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/how-do-i-review-my-fees-in-turbotax-online/0...

What is the Refund Processing Service

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900596-what-is-the-refund-processing-service

Remove Pay with Refund fee

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/downgrading/help/how-do-i-remove-pay-with-my-refund-fees-in-turbot...

Yes I purchases this horrible software from walmart for $40 and now Im expected to pay a total of $100 to do my own taxes?? I don't really get how this is part of your policy it is completely predatory. I will do everything in my power to share how terrible my experience was with your software and hopefully save people from this absolute SCAM!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies