turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where is my federal refund??

Good morning, 

I filed on February 9th and was accept on Feb. 12th. I got my state, but I havent recieved my federal after the estimated date says its complete on March 1st. I figured since it was a weekend date I would get it Monday but its now Thursday and I've recieved nothing. When I log into the IRS website it says it's still processing, so why is Turbo Tax giving me wrong info? Please help me figure this out, I need my money.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

TurboTax gives you an estimated date when you will receive your refund based on what the IRS states about refunds.  It is never a guarantee, TurboTax nor the IRS will not give you a guaranteed date.   The IRS states that most refund are issued within 21 days (business days) if you e-filed & choose direct deposit, some returns can have delays.  States differ on time frames for issuing refunds.   

Once your return has been accepted, only the IRS chooses the date your Federal return will be processed & when you will receive your refund.  If the IRS has to verify certain information on your return it will be delayed.

View solution in original post

@joepace1960   I have no idea why you would be blaming TurboTax.  TurboTax has nothing to due with the processing of your return with the IRS or the stimulus check.  The reason you have not gotten your stimulus money is because the IRS has not finished processing your 2019 return.  If you did not file a 2019 return, the would have used your 2018 return.

The Get My Payment application will return "Payment Status Not Available" for several reasons, including:

• You are required to file a tax return, but:
    • We haven't finished processing your 2019 return
    • The application doesn't yet have your data; we’re working on adding more data to allow more people to use it.

• You don't usually file a return, and:
    • You used Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here but we haven’t processed your entry yet
    • You receive an SSA or RRB Form 1099 or SSI or VA benefits; information has not been loaded onto our systems yet for people who don’t normally file a tax return.
  • You’re not eligible for a payment (see Eligibility).

We update Get My Payment data once per day, overnight so there is no need to check more often. If you are eligible for a payment and have provided your information either through a recent tax return or the Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here application, please check back for updates.

@hoopsfan48  Unfortunately,  The IRS is not processing mailed in returns at this time.   TurboTax is not in control of what the IRS does.  I know it is frustrating but allot has happened with this Covid-19 crisis.   I hoping the best for all of you, & hope the IRS will open soon so people can get their much needed refunds & stimulus checks.

The following is from the IRS:

The IRS is not currently able to process individual mailed tax returns. If you already have filed via paper but it has not yet been processed, do not file a second tax return or write to the IRS to inquire about the status of your return or your economic impact payment. Paper returns will be processed  once processing centers are able to reopen. 

All you can do now is keep checking the IRS website, Where's My Refund, the website updates once a day.

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

47 Replies

TurboTax gives you an estimated date when you will receive your refund based on what the IRS states about refunds.  It is never a guarantee, TurboTax nor the IRS will not give you a guaranteed date.   The IRS states that most refund are issued within 21 days (business days) if you e-filed & choose direct deposit, some returns can have delays.  States differ on time frames for issuing refunds.   

Once your return has been accepted, only the IRS chooses the date your Federal return will be processed & when you will receive your refund.  If the IRS has to verify certain information on your return it will be delayed.

I am willing to pay for some advice to  resolve the two  1040's and hasten my refund.  [email address removed]

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the Customer Support phone number below for further assistance:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

If you would like to reach out through our website, please see the TurboTax FAQ below for contact information: https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I filed by mail March 1.  I've already received my state refund but the federal hasn't even been accepted....Website says I should have my refund in 21 days....And it is probably sitting in a mailbox somewhere.  No one at the IRS is answering phones to help.  I just pray my return got to the IRS.  I guess my point is that the dates mean nothing at this point.  VERY frustrating.  

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@hoopsfan48 If you mailed your return to the IRS, the IRS asks you wait 4 weeks after you mail your return before looking up your refund at Where's My Refund?. 

You can also check your tax transcripts by going here: Welcome to Get Transcript

If you don't have an account, you will need to set one up. Then you'll be able to see what is going on with your taxes and if they got your form, etc.

Also, be sure when checking Where’s My Federal Refund? site that you are entering only your Federal refund amount. This can be found on your Federal form 1040, line 21a. If you paid any fees out of your federal refund, use the refund figure prior to the deduction of he fees. Also if you filed joint, be sure to enter the filers name that appears first on the return.

Please see the links below for more information:

It's very possible that they may have it but just not started reviewing/processing it yet, due to limited staff right now. Until they do, you won't find it in their system when you try to track it. Allow them a couple more weeks and then call them when the IRS reopens the phone lines.

How do I contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)?

Note: 

You will need to follow the prompts in order to speak to an IRS agent. There is a high call volume this time of year.

When calling the IRS do NOT choose Option 1.   

Choose Option 2 after you choose the language.   

Then Press 1    

Then Press 3   

Then Press 2, it will then transfer you to an agent.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

As stated in my initial post, it has been almost 7 weeks since my return was mailed.  I read the timetable on the IRS website and didn't start checking for 4 weeks.  I understand that staff is limited.  My frustration lies with my inability to know if my return was received.  Hopefully TurboTax can work with the IRS in the future and set up some sort of process that will allow it's users to check to see if a return has at least been received by the IRS.  I paid over $100 to TurboTax almost 2 months ago.  I still have zero information about my federal return.  Of course it would be nice to have my return in a timely manner.  However, I understand this year has been unique.  I do believe there should be personal customer support during this process. If the tax payer can get in touch with absolutely no one over the phone and the website hasn't changed for weeks, frustration levels will only rise.  The IRS and TurboTax need to work together to keep the consumer better informed.

Ditto, and paid extra  to turbo tax for the audit protection.. Thing is the stimulus money is hook to the 2019 return (why I got it in before the end of March).   I see nowhere or anywhere to go for answers.  Turbo Tax you guys need to get realtime status updates!

-David

Ok ... audit protection services is only used if and when you are actually audited ... and if you efiled the confirmation of the efiling can be gotten here :  https://shop.turbotax.intuit.com/efile/efile_status_lookup.jsp

If you mailed in the return TT gets no notifications of such things ... your only way to know if the IRS got the mailing was to use some sort of tracking on the letter. 

The IRS has not given TurboTax any official guidance as to when stimulus payments for every taxpayer will be released. As long as you provided your direct deposit information/card information or mailing address information, you will receive the stimulus when it is released to you (as long as you otherwise qualify for it).

The IRS rolled out the "Get My Payment" tool here. According to IRS.gov, you can use the "Get My Payment" application to:

• Check your payment status
  • Confirm your payment type: direct deposit or check
  • Enter your bank account information for direct deposit if the IRS doesn't  have your direct deposit information and if they haven't sent your payment yet.
  • Receive paper check payments: If you moved since you last filed, let us know your new mailing address.

According to the IRS FAQs:

Get My Payment will display one of the following payment statuses:

1. Payment Status (one of two statuses) –
  • A payment has been processed, a payment date is available, and payment is to be sent either by direct deposit or mail.
  • You are eligible, but a payment has not been processed and a payment date is not available.
  1. Need More Information – You are eligible for a payment, but we do not have your direct deposit information. You will be given the opportunity to provide your bank information once you have properly verified your identity. Direct Deposit is the fastest way to get your EIP.

1. Payment Status Not Available – We cannot determine your eligibility for a payment at this time. For example, this could mean:
  • You are required to file a tax return, but:
    • The application doesn't yet have your data; we’re working on adding more data to allow more people to use it.
    • You used Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here but we haven’t processed your entry yet
    • You receive an SSA or RRB Form 1099 or SSI or VA benefits; information has not been loaded onto our systems yet for people who don’t normally file a tax return.

If a payment date is not provided, updates to your payment status are made no more than once per day.

I filed my refunds o March 27, had my state less then two weeks. I keep getting payment being processed from federal. This is getting old!!!! Can’t even get info for my stimulus check. 

Thanks for nothing Turbo Tax....

@joepace1960   I have no idea why you would be blaming TurboTax.  TurboTax has nothing to due with the processing of your return with the IRS or the stimulus check.  The reason you have not gotten your stimulus money is because the IRS has not finished processing your 2019 return.  If you did not file a 2019 return, the would have used your 2018 return.

The Get My Payment application will return "Payment Status Not Available" for several reasons, including:

• You are required to file a tax return, but:

We update Get My Payment data once per day, overnight so there is no need to check more often. If you are eligible for a payment and have provided your information either through a recent tax return or the Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here application, please check back for updates.

dewz
Level 1

I agree. I was a March filer, and here we are in May with nothing from the Federal Government.

As customers of Turbo Tax, you should provide the most current information available - that is what we pay for. Routing someone to an IRS site isn't helpful as we all get the same "in process" message.

I had heard that since the filing date was moved, the IRS isn't going to process anything until after that date (July 15, 2020). If you owe money, the IRS charges interest - shouldn't you get paid plus interest if you are due a refund from the IRS?

LOL

Mr/Ms Turbo Tax, can you please give us something that help us understand what is going on? It hasn't been this way in the many years past (!)

@dewz Read the answer directly above your post.

Once a tax return has been Accepted by the IRS or a State, by law TurboTax cannot receive any further information concerning the tax return or the status of a tax refund.  Only the taxpayer listed on the tax return can obtain the status of a tax refund or a tax return.

josem0427
Returning Member

I filed for both my 2019 state and federal tax returns back in January 2020. I received my state refund but still have not received my federal tax returns 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies