When reviewing Utah tax return, it tells me to rem...

bahrbarian

When reviewing Utah tax return, it tells me to remove the hyphen from the Employer/Payer ID in box b from my W-2. However, I cannot edit this directly in the state return. How do I correct this?

Cass0317

The information flows from the federal into the state forms so the correction has to take place in the federal form. First edit it there and see if that takes care of the issue. Another option is to delete the W-2 and then re-enter it. 

Please see the Help Article for entering a W-2 below:

How do I import or enter my W-2?

If you need additional assistance, please feel free to reach out to us.

bahrbarian

I have gone to my W-2 and attempted to re-enter the employer/payer ID from box b on the W-2.

Specifically, my issue is that TC-W40(1) cannot have hyphens, but (at least from the help popup for box b when editing the W-2 itself) the original employer/payer ID in box b on the W-2 DOES need a hyphen after the first two digits. Whenever I try to edit this field, the hypen is automatically inserted.

ErnieS0

TC-W40(1) pulls the tax ID number from Box 15 of your W-2. The number must be 14 characters without hyphens and should look like 12345678901WTH.

If your W-2 doesn’t have 14 characters in Box 15, we recommend you contact your employer to get their 14 character Employer State ID number or you can visit the Utah state website to find your company’s new code.

Learn more at Income Tax Withholding – TC-40W, Part 1.

utahdeveloper

Shouldn't TC-40W(1) be pulling from the W2 Box B, and TC-40W(2) pulls from the Box 15?

It seems as though the error is wrong.  (1) Should be the 9 digit number and (2) should be the 14 characters.

AmyC

Form TC 40W needs the 14 character digit according to the state - see below. If there is no state withholding, you can delete the entire state line. If you have withholding, contact the payer for the correct number.

If the state is marked as Utah, the payer ID should be in format. The Utah withholding account number is a 14-character number. The first eleven characters are numeric and the last three are “WTH.” Do not enter hyphens. Example: 12345678901WTH.

Here is what Utah says in Income Tax Withholding - Utah Income Taxes - Utah.gov:

You must claim Utah withholding tax credits by completing form TC-40W and attaching it to your return. ... withholding tax credits may be disallowed if you do not complete TC-40W as ... The Utah withholding account number is a 14-character number. ... Contact the employer or payer of the income to get the Utah ID number.

@utahdeveloper