Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What should I do if my return has been pending for over 48 hours?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you e-filed your return in January, it'll stay in Pending status until the IRS starts processing the backlog of returns.

After January, e-filed returns generally sit in Pending status for 24-48 hours before coming back as either Accepted or Rejected. Sometimes state returns stay in Pending for several days or even longer.

So there is nothing to be done at this the IRS is still processing the backlog of returns so it will take the longer than the usual 24-48 https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4193097

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

59 Replies

If you e-filed your return in January, it'll stay in Pending status until the IRS starts processing the backlog of returns.

After January, e-filed returns generally sit in Pending status for 24-48 hours before coming back as either Accepted or Rejected. Sometimes state returns stay in Pending for several days or even longer.

So there is nothing to be done at this the IRS is still processing the backlog of returns so it will take the longer than the usual 24-48 https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4193097

Shouldnt the ones who filed first get there returns received and approved first before others who filed a week later so if my return is on a backlog those who filed a week later should be on there behind me correct my returns been pending a week and people who filed 1/20/20 already been accepted and received by the irs.

EbonyL122824
Intuit Alumni

The IRS does not process returns in first in first out batches. They are processed individually and at different times. There is no way for any of us to know who will have their return accepted and processed first. The IRS does not open until January 27th and will not begin processing any returns until then.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/return-status/help/what-does-pending-mean/00/26331

My return was rejected and then fixed, I resent it on jan 27th at 8:11p.m. recieved by turbotax but irs shows unknown. It's been past the 48 hour mark and closer to 72 hours. I have contacted the irs and they said it's on turbotax end, meanwhile turbotax told me to contact the irs, can someone just look to make sure it was properly transmitted. I know computers glitch all the time, just check

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

Sign in to TurboTax to check your current status. You'll find it in Tax Home after sign in. For more information please click the link below.

How do I check my e-file status? - Community

I have, consistently for the last 3 days and nothing has changed. I check the website and the app just in case.

Skysta did your return get either accepted or rejected yet? Did you get any answers as to what is going on? I am in the same situation and spent 45 minutes on the phone with Turbotax getting conflicting answers about the status of my return.

I did, come to find out turbotax recieved my return but NOT forward it to the irs or my state. It has been fixed and I've been accepted

Thanks for your reply, Skysta! If I can ask one more question, how did you get them to forward it the second time? Did you call them? I tried earlier today and they were so unhelpful and didn't understand what I was trying to tell them.

I spoke to someone from turbotax on facebook messenger and they gave me this email TurboTaxSocialCare @intuit.com I explained my situation and they called me.

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

After January, e-filed returns generally sit in Pending status for 24–48 hours before coming back as either Accepted or Rejected. Sometimes state returns stay in Pending for several days or even longer.

Keep calm and check back

Until your state or the IRS processes your return,  you may hear there's "no record found." That actually means the return's still being processed. Just check back in a few days.

Related Information:

JR0067sc

How come my return is still pending does the IRS work on the weekend’s? 

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

The government never processes refunds on Saturdays or Sundays, or federal holidays. The IRS only updates your refund status information once per week on Wednesdays. If you e-file your tax return, wait at least 72 hours from the date the IRS confirms receipt of your return before checking your refund status, and at least three weeks if you mail the return instead.

Did you claim EIC or Additional Child Tax Credit? Even though you may be able to e-file now, by law the IRS will not issue a refund on tax returns claiming the Earned Income Tax Credit or Additional Child Tax Credit until late February.

Some 2019 federal refunds are delayed due to the PATH Act

If you did not claim EIC or Additional Child Tax Credit, the IRS usually will process within 48 hours but it can take longer if they have a backlog.

When will I get my IRS tax refund?

Mine is doing the same thing! It was rejected because they needed the AGI on my 2018 tax return so I fixed it Friday and it still says pending!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies