Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What is the best way for me to file taxes on misc income like such as surveys, offer rebates, plasma donations etc. Can I total everything and put it on a single form?

I have income from quite a few different misc sources but I'm not sure how the best way to report the income is. Mainly, I just want to avoid making like 10 tax forms if possible.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

What is the best way for me to file taxes on misc income like such as surveys, offer rebates, plasma donations etc. Can I total everything and put it on a single form?

it really depends on whether your it's in total $100s or $1000s.  $100s i would just list as "other income" on schedule 1 line 8. $1000s I would list amounts for each major category with a description then group the smaller amounts as "other income" 

Plasma donations will definitely be in the thousands since I'm making about $400 /month.

Surveys will probably peak at $1000-1200 total for the rest of the year.  Those are like 90% from one source.

I heard that rebates aren't taxable. Would rebates include things like deposit $50 get $100 back? or buy subscription for $10 get $20 back? That will probably peak around $1000-1200 like the donations. Good short term money but not sustainable since every website has the same offers. Some of the things I've gotten money for doing (like playing a game)  aren't something I had to put in money for though so those would surely be taxable?

I think by the end of the year my extra income from all these sources would probably be $3000-4000

Rebates are not taxable since it is just your own money coming back to you.

The blood and surveys are taxable and can be entered on the Sch 1 line 8 as income not subject to SE taxes however be prepared to defend this choice if the IRS sends you a notice.  You should get a 1099-misc for these incomes which will make things easier to defend.  

The sch 1 is a 1040 form right? What's the difference between using a 1040 and a 1099 and what kind of defense would I give to the IRS for using a 1040?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies