turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

zooeycash

Can I go back in and amend some info after I completed and printed to file?

I just found out I need to change some numbers and I don't know if I can go in and change the info since I already completed all of the steps and I am prepared to file
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You'll need to amend your return, the same way that you filed your original return. 

You need to wait till your original return is accepted by the IRS before you amend.  

If you have already filed your return, first print out a copy of your original return for your records.  

Then go into Turbo Tax and click Amend (change) a filed and accepted return under Manage Your Return.    

It's zeroed out (which is why you need to keep a copy of your original return).  You can then add any additional info that you've received, and Turbo Tax walks you through the rest!  

Addresses to Mail Amendments To  

You mail the 1040X along with any schedules that changed as a result of the amendment (except the 1040).   

You also include the federal copy of any new W-2s or any 1099-Rs that had tax withheld.  

States' Departments of Revenue 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You'll need to amend your return, the same way that you filed your original return. 

You need to wait till your original return is accepted by the IRS before you amend.  

If you have already filed your return, first print out a copy of your original return for your records.  

Then go into Turbo Tax and click Amend (change) a filed and accepted return under Manage Your Return.    

It's zeroed out (which is why you need to keep a copy of your original return).  You can then add any additional info that you've received, and Turbo Tax walks you through the rest!  

Addresses to Mail Amendments To  

You mail the 1040X along with any schedules that changed as a result of the amendment (except the 1040).   

You also include the federal copy of any new W-2s or any 1099-Rs that had tax withheld.  

States' Departments of Revenue 

zooeycash

What if I haven't filed yet?  I haven't mailed in my return, so can I just change it and print out the new one and mail it?

Oh yes, of course, sorry I misunderstood.  As long as you HAVEN'T filed, you can make as many changes as you want.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies