turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What if I have my tax refund deposited into someone else's account, and now they will not give me my money?

had my refund deposited into their account, then I assaulted them and they have a protection order. How do I get my money now if they refuse to give it to me and I cannot contact them?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

What if I have my tax refund deposited into someone else's account, and now they will not give me my money?

You need to talk with an attorney. There is nothing that the IRS can do for you, because they deposited your refund exactly where you requested.   You may find that the bank will take the same position, that they put the deposit exactly where you requested.  You may need to sue the recipient of the money. 

It is for reasons like this that TurboTax and the IRS both recommend that taxpayers only have refunds deposited into account that they personally control. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies

You need to talk with an attorney. There is nothing that the IRS can do for you, because they deposited your refund exactly where you requested.   You may find that the bank will take the same position, that they put the deposit exactly where you requested.  You may need to sue the recipient of the money. 

It is for reasons like this that TurboTax and the IRS both recommend that taxpayers only have refunds deposited into account that they personally control. 

I'm surprised the bank accepted the direct deposit.
sin19

Karma for “assaulting” them, maybe?

Turbo doesnt let people deposit funds into another persons account 

What if you deposit it into a dependents account? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies