Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What happens if you didn't file 2019 fed and state taxes until July 2023. Refunds on both but have heard nothing.

Have recently filed 2020 and 2021, but what will happen to them?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

What happens if you didn't file 2019 fed and state taxes until July 2023. Refunds on both but have heard nothing.

@ashgrey22 You are partly correct.   There is a three year limit during which you can file and receive a tax refund, but there is NO limit for how long the IRS or state want to be paid if you owe money to them.   If you owe tax due for that past year, you owe it with late penalties and interest.   But they will not pay out a refund for tax year 2019 now.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

11 Replies

The 2019, 2020 and 2021 tax returns could only have been filed using the TurboTax desktop editions installed on your personal computer.  They could not have been filed using the TurboTax online web-based editions which are only for tax year 2023.

How did you file the prior year tax returns?

To complete and file a prior year (2022 thru 2020) tax return using TurboTax you would need to purchase, download and install on a personal computer one of the desktop editions for each tax year required from this website - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

A prior year tax return can only be printed and mailed, it cannot be e-filed using TurboTax.

I filed a complicated 2019 with an accountant, but not until July 2023.  I used Turbo Tax and filed 2020 and 2021 by mail.  All went certified mail and all have been received by fed and state.  I cannot get in touch with fed IRS no matter what time I try and what buttons I push!

@ashgrey22 wrote:

I filed a complicated 2019 with an accountant, but not until July 2023.  I used Turbo Tax and filed 2020 and 2021 by mail.  All went certified mail and all have been received by fed and state.  I cannot get in touch with fed IRS no matter what time I try and what buttons I push!

Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 3 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.

Or you can contact your local IRS office.  See this IRS website for local IRS offices - http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-Your-Local-IRS-Office-1 or call 1-844-545-5640 to set up an appointment

Or you may want to contact a Taxpayer Advocate in your area.  See this IRS website for Taxpayer Advocate in your area and a toll free number - http://www.irs.gov/Advocate/Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

View solution in original post

Check 2019 with your accountant.  It may be too late to get any refunds from 2019.   Was he able to efile 2019 or was it mailed?  

We mailed it.  I finally got in contact with my state tax office and they informed me that it is past deadline by a few months and it was essentially put in limbo and nothing will be done with it.  This sounds odd to me, because if I had owed money, folks could just wait and not file and never have to pay!  I'm now waiting to see what happens with the 20 and 21 that I have mailed.  I bet if I had owed for 2019 something would have done with it!

@ashgrey22 You are partly correct.   There is a three year limit during which you can file and receive a tax refund, but there is NO limit for how long the IRS or state want to be paid if you owe money to them.   If you owe tax due for that past year, you owe it with late penalties and interest.   But they will not pay out a refund for tax year 2019 now.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

May 17th 2024 is the last day to file a 2020 original or amended return for a refund, unless you got a 2020 extension.

The last day for 2019 was last year.

@ashgrey22 

I have extensions for every year, including the 2019 taxes.

I had refund due for fed and state both for 2019.  

I did purchase download and install 20 and 21, been completed and mailed and received by fed ad state per certified mail.

@ashgrey22 Even with an extension for 2019, you are too late to receive the refunds for that year.  You waited too long to file 2019.   You can still get refunds for 2020 and 2021.   It takes longer to get refunds from mailed returns, so you will be waiting for several months or more to receive those refunds.  The IRS is not showing information for 2020 on the refund site, but when your 2021 return is entered into the system, you will be able to see information for the 2021 refund on the IRS site.

You need your filing status, your Social Security number and the exact amount  (line 35a of your 2021 Form 1040) of your federal refund to track your Federal refund:   

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies