turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bawalling

Can I amend my recent tax return to unclaim whatever is triggering the PATH act holdup? I wish I knew that before I filed!!!!! That I would have to wait to feb. 15!!!!

I just filed for 2017 -  will Ammending it delay or speed up my refund?! I wish I knew ahead of time that claiming the EIC was going to trigger this path act dumb tax BS

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmyW

Can I amend my recent tax return to unclaim whatever is triggering the PATH act holdup? I wish I knew that before I filed!!!!! That I would have to wait to feb. 15!!!!

No, amending the tax return would not help in this particular situation. Amended returns would be filed if there was a mistake on your original return, and you would want to wait until the original tax return is processed. Amended tax returns take at least 16 weeks to process and up to 6 months. The quickest way to receive your refund would be to wait until the tax return is processed by the IRS.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AmyW

No, amending the tax return would not help in this particular situation. Amended returns would be filed if there was a mistake on your original return, and you would want to wait until the original tax return is processed. Amended tax returns take at least 16 weeks to process and up to 6 months. The quickest way to receive your refund would be to wait until the tax return is processed by the IRS.

bawalling

Well understood. Thank you for the reply.
It, however, was a HUGE shock & MAJOR  inconvenience - & I wish there was a pop up window notifying me that ‘oh by the way, claiming this EIC credit is gonna push back your refund a HALF A MONTH!!’
Because otherwise, I would have NEVER taken the credit - & screw the PATH act next year!!!!!

If you qualify for EIC or additional tax credit, it is calculated and added to your refund automatically.  If you could somehow take it off, the IRS would add it back on.
From the IRS:
“The IRS reminds taxpayers that, by law, the IRS cannot issue refunds claiming the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and the Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC) before mid-February. While the IRS will process those returns when received, it cannot issue related refunds before mid-February. The IRS expects the earliest EITC/ACTC related refunds to be available in taxpayer bank accounts or on debit cards starting on Feb. 27, 2018, if they chose direct deposit and there are no other issues with the tax return. “
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
bawalling

Wow, that’s incredible. Thank you for the additional info.
How depressing!  - after mid February is Feb. 16 onward, so WTF is up “Feb. 27”?
To me, the IRS has had all of Feb. to dick around, so come “mid-Feb.” they should start cranking them out!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies