Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Weird situation with the IRS after E-Filing through Turbotax last year/2020.

I requested an extension from the IRS, and sent them 6k as an estimate for my taxes, back in May of 2021 for tax year 2020. I completed my tax return for 2020 in early October, and Turbotax confirmed that they'd seen it. However, every time I checked the IRS site, they said my refund was delayed. Sure, fine, I read articles saying they're behind, no big deal. However, when I got my 2021 refund within a couple days, I was a bit concerned. I went back to the IRS's website, and they now have no record of my filing. I've tried calling countless times, but can NEVER get through to someone-- it legitimately just hangs up on me if the line is too long (which, of course it is). Their website isn't helpful either. 

I'm wondering if it's possible for Turbotax to re-file the tax return. I feel like I've done everything I'm supposed to, but I'm getting handcuffed by bureaucracy.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If you successfully efiled the return the IRS does NOT want you to mail the return in also. 

Only the IRS controls when and if a tax refund is Approved and Sent.

Call the IRS:  1-800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.  

So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info).  Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".   

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  

- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don’t enter anything.  

- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Then press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.

Then press 4 for all other inquiries.

It should then transfer you to an agent.

Or you can contact your local IRS office.  See this IRS website for local IRS offices - http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-Your-Local-IRS-Office-1 or call 1-844-545-5640 to set up an appointment

Or you may want to contact a Taxpayer Advocate in your area.  See this IRS website for Taxpayer Advocate in your area and a toll free number - http://www.irs.gov/Advocate/Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

@ RomoLampkin  wrote about the 2020 return:  "I went back to the IRS's website, and they now have no record of my filing. "

Since you have filed your 2021 return, the IRS "Where's My Refund" tool will no longer display info about a 2020 return; it will now only display info for your filed 2021 return.    If you have an IRS account (or wish to enroll for such), you can look at your 2020 "Record of Account" Transcript.  You may not be able to deduce much from it, but it would be evidence that they have your return and are working on it, and it should reflect the payments you made toward the 2020 return.   If you check it occasionally, you may at some point notice a new transaction code indicating another step has been taken with your return.

I would try to phone the IRS, but as you mentioned, the IRS is not easy to reach.  I've reached them a couple of times, and I realize this is anecdotal, but I have found that for me it was best to call just before closing time--about 6:50-6:55 PM and  go through the steps that @ Critter-3 outlined above. I figured a lot of folks would not call that close to closing, and that if I was one of the last to get into the queue, they would finish off all the people who were in the queue at closing time. I still had to wait about 25-30 minutes.

If you end up phoning the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service, they are especially prone to help if you are having an economic hardship or have encountered significant delays from the IRS.   If they can't/won't help you, ask them if they will transfer you to an IRS agent.  A couple of users have said that, at least for them, that was a backdoor route to an IRS agent.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies