turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Deduct attorneys fees

I received a judgement settlement in 2017. I did not write off attorneys fees in the year the judgement was awarded because there were many appeals. Can I file an amended return to write them off in the year they occurred and am I limited in what amount I can write off? In other words, can I write off more than I recovered?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

Deduct attorneys fees

It depends. You can report allowable legal fees in the tax year for which the fees were paid. If allowable, there is no limitation.

You can usually deduct legal expenses that you incur in attempting to produce or collect taxable income or that you pay in connection with the determination, collection, or refund of any tax. Legal Fees of this type are included on Schedule A as a Miscellaneous Itemized Deduction, subject to a 2% limitation based on your Adjusted Gross Income. 

Legal fees associated with discrimination lawsuits are deductible above the line, on the first page of your 1040, to determine your adjusted gross income.

Other legal fees are not tax-deductible.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Deduct attorneys fees

We were really not attempting to produce income but we did receive a judgement. The judgement was granted in 2014, but then there were appeals so we did not get paid until 2017. In addition, they had gotten a judgement against us, so the final settlement had those offsets plus interest paid and interest earned. The pipeline company did not issue us a 1099 either. But the check was written on their right of way account.
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

Deduct attorneys fees

If the payment you received is taxable, then you may report the legal fees.

Deduct attorneys fees

So if they did not issue a 1099, but I have a statement of all the offsets, their judgement against us, our judgement against them and interest both ways, what amount do I report as income? The net amount that the actual check was for? Or do I report the gross amount of the judgement plus the interest? In which case can I write off the interest we paid them? And the payment of the judgement they had against us? Thanks for your help by the way. This is too complex for anyone to understand!
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

Deduct attorneys fees

You may wish to consult your attorney for a final answer in this situation. It would appear you would report only the money you were paid, but there may be additional factors that would influence how you report this transaction.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies