Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Shojiro
Returning Member

We changed the amount claimed as Recovery Rebate Credit

I recently received my tax return, but it was missing the $1,400 from the 3rd round of stimulus. I was a dependent until filing in 2021, which is when I received the first 2 stimulus. Since the 3rd round also went off the 2019 return, but came out after filing the 2020 taxes, I never got the 3rd one, now called the Recovery Rebate Credit. I received this message from the IRS as to why they deducted the Credit that I tried to claim on my 2021 return:

We changed the amount claimed as Recovery Rebate Credit on your tax return. The error was in one or more of the following:

• The Social Security number of one or more individuals claimed as a qualifying dependent was missing or incomplete.
  • The last name of one or more individuals claimed as a qualifying dependent does not match our records.
  • One or more individuals claimed as a qualifying dependent exceeds the age limit.
  • Your adjusted gross income exceeds $75,000 ($150,000 if married filing jointly, $112,500 if head of household).
  • The amount was computed incorrectly."

This feels like a very generic explanation, of which none fit me. I am filing single with no dependents under me, all of my other information was fine, and I do not make over $75,000. Does anyone know where to go from here? I tried calling the IRS but they're so busy they don't even have a wait-time on their phones, it just hangs up on you.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Yes, you are correct that letter is generic. The last bullet is a catch all.  Here is an IRS FAQ that lists the options you have to disagree with the changes.  Question H4 seems to answer your situation.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Shojiro
Returning Member

That's what I figured. Will I receive a more explanatory notice in the mail at some point? I found that information by going through the IRS's refund tracker.

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

If you did not receive any letter  yet and you just got the information from the Where's My Refund portal, then yes, you should be getting a letter with a more detailed answer. 

If you already have a letter, and you disagree, you will need to call the number at the top of the form.

The most often reason this adjustment is being made is because you already received the rebate.  I would suggest going back through your bank accounts to double check that you did not receive it. They were direct deposited if they had your account information available. Also, they were sent out at different times for different people so yours may have been sent after they received your 2020 taxes. 

judyco004

Hey--

Any updates on this. I have the same issue with my refund. I was not claimed as a dependent, nor did I make over $75,000 last year. So why was $1,400 deducted from me? I only got 2 stimulus checks. And the first one I had to request when filling last year.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

If you received the first or second stimulus payments, check for the third as paid the same way. 

In other words, if the first two payments were made direct deposit, check that account to see if the third payment was made that way and you did not notice. 

You can also check your IRS Your Online Account to see what they have on record for your payments. 

IRS Your Online Account 

Same thing here I was unemployed and no dependents but they took it from me but yet it’s exactly how I filed last year and got the second stimulus back if you find out what happened please let me know!!!! Thanks!!!!

Mbutch

I’d love to see an update as well. I received the exact same notice on ‘Where’s my refund’ but I entered the amounts exactly as they sent them to me on the forms for child tax credit and stimulus

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies