Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jpjj47

I received a letter from IRS stating they found more income for my 2013 tax return and want me to pay another $4,000.00. I asked for proof

I want answers.  Do I need to go to office?  The phone is automated and hold was over an hour without anyone answering
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I received a letter from IRS stating they found more income for my 2013 tax return and want me to pay another $4,000.00. I asked for proof

When you receive a letter from the IRS it is best to carefully read the letter and follow the instructions as quickly and completely as possible.  Each letter will have an 'identifying number' (CP-xxxx) on it.  You can call the IRS and ask for more information or you can Google that form number for additional information.

The letter will explain the reason(s) the IRS has for increasing the amount you owe. It will also include steps you must follow promptly if you agree with their explanation, or if you disagree with their explanation.

Remember, timeliness is important.  Interest and penalties keep accruing.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

When you receive a letter from the IRS it is best to carefully read the letter and follow the instructions as quickly and completely as possible.  Each letter will have an 'identifying number' (CP-xxxx) on it.  You can call the IRS and ask for more information or you can Google that form number for additional information.

The letter will explain the reason(s) the IRS has for increasing the amount you owe. It will also include steps you must follow promptly if you agree with their explanation, or if you disagree with their explanation.

Remember, timeliness is important.  Interest and penalties keep accruing.

Make sure you print out your 2013 tax return and have it in hand to look at when you call or visit.
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

....Unlikely that the IRS is working on weekends ?

Customer service representatives are available Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time, unless otherwise noted. Residents of Alaska and Hawaii follow Pacific time. Puerto Rico phone lines are open 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. local time.
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies