BTH87

Unexpected IRS Payment

Hello,

I just received this past Wednesday a direct deposit from the IRS that I was not expecting. I did not receive a notice so I tried to see if it was a mistake. It is impossible to talk to somebody over the phone but my friend told me it could be a readjustment refund due a change in law for people who were unemployed (my husband) during COVID. I was able to access to my transcripts on the IRS website and see the payment on the date I received it. Can someone confirm this money is mine and that this is not a mistake from IRS if it shows on the transcript? Thank you!

Unexpected IRS Payment

Yes, did you get unemployment?  You can now exclude 10,200 from unemployment for each person.

If you have filed early before the exclusion, the IRS will recalculate your return for the new 10,200 unemployment exemption for you.  They are sending it out in batches over the summer.

rjs

Unexpected IRS Payment

The IRS will send you a letter explaining the refund. You might not get the letter until a few weeks after you got the refund.

TrRLsR

Unexpected IRS Payment

if you or your husband received unemployment during 2020 its yours