Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dljacksr

Unemp recv in 2020 that wasnt claimed on 2020 returns I received my payments in March 2021 How do I claim this after I have already filed taxes.

How do I get refunded for taxes withheld on my unemployment from the pandemic if I did not file it on my 2020 return
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Unemp recv in 2020 that wasnt claimed on 2020 returns I received my payments in March 2021 How do I claim this after I have already filed taxes.

Did you get a 1099G for 2020 unemployment?  If you didn't get the payments until 2021 it will go on your return next year.  

Or you mean you got your tax refunds in March 2021?  You need to amend 2020 to add the unemployment.  

How to amend a 2020 return 
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-return/01/27439

Your post is confusing.  WHEN did you receive unemployment?   Did you receive the unemployment in 2020?  Or not until 2021?   If  you did not receive it until 2021 then you will enter it on your 2021 tax return next year.

Or do you mean you filed a 2020 return and did not include the unemployment received in 2020 on that tax return?   If that is what happened then you need to amend your 2020 return AFTER it has been fully processed by the IRS.

Select your tax year for amending instructions:

What does it mean to "amend" a return?

·         Do I Need to Amend my Tax Return?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I had the same problem. I filed for unemployment in October of 2020 but did not receive the payments until  May of 2021. I have not received my 1099 yet. I am wondering how this will work since I paid tax on the amount for the weeks that fell in 2020 but then those were excused from taxes in 2020. If they send me a 1099 with all of 2020 and 2021 lumped together I am not sure that I will get the tax back on the 2020 portion. Any help here is appreciated.

If you didn't get it until 2021 then it will all go on 2021 return.  Sorry.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies