Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Underpayment penalty

Last year, I received a $1918 refund from the IRS and owed NY state $0 in tax.  This year, I owe the IRS $1285 and the state of NY, $646.  I know that I don't have to pay an underpayment penalty for the 2021 tax year but how do I handle the underpayment penalty as a result of my tax liability this year?  In other words, I was told by the Turbo Tax Community that because I owe the IRS more than $1000, I have to pay an underpayment penalty for the 2021 tax year.    How do I handle this?  Do I wait until I receive a bill from the IRS?  I know that normally quarterly payments are made to the IRS.  Do I have to get involved in that for this small amount?  The bottom line question is how do I make the underpayment penalty payment?  I don't know anything about an underpayment penalty for NY state. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Underpayment penalty

You may not owe a penalty for underpayment of tax.  The IRS will not charge you an underpayment penalty if  (a) you pay at least 90% of the tax you owe for the current year, or (b) pay 100% of the tax you owed for the previous tax year (110% if your if your taxable income is $150,000 or more), or (c) you owe less than $1,000 in tax after subtracting withholdings and credits.  So, just because you owe more than $1,000 does not mean you will owe a penalty.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Underpayment penalty

You may not owe a penalty for underpayment of tax.  The IRS will not charge you an underpayment penalty if  (a) you pay at least 90% of the tax you owe for the current year, or (b) pay 100% of the tax you owed for the previous tax year (110% if your if your taxable income is $150,000 or more), or (c) you owe less than $1,000 in tax after subtracting withholdings and credits.  So, just because you owe more than $1,000 does not mean you will owe a penalty.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies