turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax royally screwed up my refund after having to choose to file state taxes manually

There's an issue in TurboTax with the Utah Employer's State ID Number, which doesn't understand that the 14-character number with three letters at the end (like [phone number removed]WTH) is actually what it looks like to us.

Now, this did block me in some past years from e-filing state taxes through TurboTax, so I chose to file manually, which went completely fine with the Utah State Tax Commission's website tap.utah.gov.

However, this year something went royally wrong, because I work remotely for a company in another state (Illinois if that matters). Legally I pay no state income taxes to Illinois, just to Utah; that number looks fine, but TurboTax somehow subtracted it from my Federal return (thousands), to end up with about $150 of "returns", however, to the state of Utah, since I couldn't e-file through TurboTax because of some other issue, I still owe them thousands and apparently will not be getting my Federal return of thousands (based on all normal W-2's, nothing odd this year at all), so I'm out thousands until somebody clears this up.

Now what? I can't tell what to do. I don't have thousands to pay Utah outside of a credit card... which of course needs to be cleared within 30 days to not pay interest, and I got my federal refund late last year, and I'm not even sure the IRS is going to understand based on TurboTax's filing that they subtracted what I owe to Utah from my Federal return even though they didn't e-file Utah's return...

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

TurboTax royally screwed up my refund after having to choose to file state taxes manually

I believe you are looking at a net payment rather than your federal refund being used to pay Illinois. If it is indeed the case, then delete Illinois, file federal and then add back Illinois and file that.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies