Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

AngryJD
Returning Member

TurboTax returned my 2020 Federal refund to the IRS and I cannot get it back

The IRS sent my 2020 refund but I have not received it.  Late last year I spoke with a real human being on the TurboTax support line (something which now seems no longer possible) who told me TurboTax had returned my refund to the IRS (for no apparent reason as I requested a direct deposit) and I should get it back within 6 - 8 weeks.  That was months ago.  I hired an accounting firm to contact the IRS and the IRS shows the refund as having been delivered and that I need to contact TurboTax for proof that TurboTax sent the money back.  I need to speak to a live person at TurboTax to clear this up as it has been nearly a year and the fault is with TurboTax who apparently used GreenDot bank to act as a go between the IRS and my direct deposit bank.  My patience is exhausted.  I do not like throwing the lawyer card around, but this is infuriating.  I need to speak to someone at TurboTax immediately.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

The person you spoke to at TurboTax gave you false information.  TurboTax never gets the refund.  If it was returned to the IRS, it was returned by the bank that you asked to have it deposited to.  When the bank sends the money back to the IRS, the IRS mails a paper check.  That check could have been stolen or lost in the mail  Contact the IRS and ask them to put a trace on the check.  

AngryJD
Returning Member

I spoke live to the IRS before I spoke to TurboTax.  As far as the IRS is concerned, they paid it and have evidence of deposit.  I also spoke to my bank and it never hit the account there.  I believe TurboTax uses an intermediary bank to process their filing fee payment and I suspect that is where it went.  The woman I spoke to at TurboTax was looking at the notes on my account and told me they had sent it back.   

TurboTax never received it or sent it back.  Call TurboTax again and try to get an agent who understands what they need to look at.  It will be the database from 2020 taxes.  Some agents will not know that it exists or how to access it.  Ask for a manager if that happens.  The information is in the TurboTax system.  You are right that it was sent to the Santa Barbara Tax Products Group.  They need to look at the data from 2020.  That will tell exactly what was deposited and when.  You also need to contact the IRS and have a trace put on any payment that they sent to you.  

Your tax refund was not sent to TurboTax.   TurboTax does not handle your refund at all.

Santa Barbara Tax Products Group, LLC  (SBTPG) is the bank that handles the Refund Processing Service when you choose to have your TurboTax fees deducted from your refund. This option also has an additional charge from the bank that processes the transaction. 

You can contact them SBTPG, toll-free, at 1-877-908-7228 or go to their secure website www.sbtpg.com 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2580357-who-provides-the-refund-processing-service

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
AngryJD
Returning Member

Thank you.  I have been trying to speak to someone at TuboTax for a few weeks.  Unfortunately, I cannot get to a live person.  Hence my frustration.  But, I appreciate your help.

AngryJD
Returning Member

Thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies