Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax Not Transmitting Amended 2020 Return

Here's the answer to my own question. I'm posting this because others will undoubtedly encounter the same problem. Today I learned from TurboTax customer support that the IRS and TurboTax turn off their e-file servers annually from about November 1st to the end of January of the following year, during which no electric filings of any type can be made. That is what caused my problems and why my amended return was not transmitted.

Here’s the original question I was going to ask before I found the answer:

The IRS allows filing amended returns electronically starting with 2019. I am trying to file an amended 2020 return with TurboTax. Everything seemed to work until the very last step.

TurboTax pre-populated the signature date with today's date. (See first error message below.) That didn't work so I used the 2021 date on which I originally transmitted to the IRS. That allowed the process to go forward, but ultimately I got the second error message below.

I get the following messages:

Correct Your Signature Date

You either didn't enter a signature date or entered an invalid signature date. Verify and make any necessary corrections here. Your signature date must be on or after 01/01/2021 through 12/31/21.

Your Transmission Didn't Go Through

TurboTax was unable to send your return to the Intuit Electronic Filing Center, for the following reason:

Validation failed: The Intuit Electronic Filing Center is closed for the 2020 Personal Income Tax Filing season. October 20, 2021 was the last day to file returns electronically. - Please file your return(s) through the mail.

Looks like we've had a technical hiccup.

Try e-filing again. If that doesn't work, you can print your return and file by mail.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

NONE of the DIY programs will allow you to efile a prior year return.   Only some paid tax professionals will be able to efile the 2020 & 2021 returns again when the efiling season for 2022 returns opens again in mid January... so unless you want to pay one of those your only option will be to print, ink sign and mail in the return. 

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Sorry---e-filing is permanently closed for 2020 or 2021 returns including amended returns.  In fact, e-filing is not even yet open for 2022 returns.  Nothing can be e-filed at this time.  The only way for you to file your amended return is by mail.  Print it, sign and date it in ink, and mail it in.  Use a mailing service like certified mail since you will have a long wait, and if you use tracking you will know the IRS has your return.

Even during “normal” times it takes about four months for the IRS to process an amended return.  During the pandemic and due to the severe backlog at the IRS it is taking much longer—six to nine  months or more for many amended returns.  Do not expect quick results from amending.  When the IRS issues a refund for an amended return it will be by check.  They do not make direct deposits for refunds for amended returns.  You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

The TurboTax personal tax preparation program can only e-file the current tax year amended tax return.  So a 2020 amended tax return can only be printed and mailed using TurboTax.

The Intuit Professional Series allows e-filing of prior tax year amended returns.

@xmasbaby0 what if I wait until e-filing is open in late January/early February 2023? Shouldn't I be e-file my amended return then?

@DoninGA this is not what  TurboTax Deluxe is indicating. In fact, it walked me through the steps to e-file. I ran into problems with the actual transmittal, which as I was told, is because the filing dates are not currently open. 

@jimretz1 The TurboTax program does not know that e-filing is currently closed for all tax returns.  Your 2020 TurboTax program is telling you that it cannot e-file your tax return because it is after the date for e-filing a 2020 tax return, ie October 15, 2021.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for e-filing an amended return (it is for tax year 2021 and has not yet been updated for tax year 2022) - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/e-file-1040x-amend-return/L9t...

For years prior to 2021, you'll need to print and mail your amended return. Follow these instructions to amend a prior-year return.

@jimretz1 No it will not help you to wait until January.   The only way to file your amended 2020 return is by mail.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

NONE of the DIY programs will allow you to efile a prior year return.   Only some paid tax professionals will be able to efile the 2020 & 2021 returns again when the efiling season for 2022 returns opens again in mid January... so unless you want to pay one of those your only option will be to print, ink sign and mail in the return. 

Thank you everyone who contributed answers to this problem. Intuit/TurboTax, I will say this is disappointing. The TurboTax Deluxe software program acts like it will file an amended return. I didn't see any messages or disclaimers to the contrary. And please train the 1-800 customer service department about this. The person I spoke with obviously is not aware of it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies