ge8marble

Turbotax Deluxe calculates amended return amount due incorrectly.

I filed my 2020 Federal taxes early and they were accepted by the IRS. I was waiting until April 15 to mail my payment. Then I received two late Schedule K-1 forms. I used TurboTax Deluxe to amend my taxes but could not submit them because the IRS was not ready to receive amended forms. Now I am ready to submit the amended 1040 but TurboTax presumes I have already paid the original amount and creates 1040-X with the amount owed as the difference between the original 1040 and the newly  calculated amount.

How can I create a 1040-X with the correct amount owed?

As a suggestion for Intuit developers, there should be a question as to whether the previously filed amount has been paid.

MinhT1

You should pay the two amounts separately so that the IRS can post your payments correctly. The IRS considers the amended return separately from the original for payments.

The first payment will be posted to your form 1040. And the second payment will be posted to your form 1040X.

MinhT1

ge8marble

Thanks. That makes perfect sense. I did not know that the IRS considered the two submissions separately but now that you mention it, that method would be a lot easier than trying to replace one with another.