Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax 2021 CD

I have been using TurboTax for years but only as CDs. Recently I had to upgrade my laptop (and change hard drives). I had been backing up my TurboTax datafiles to another zip drive. But all the installed CD data wasn't (and I figured I would have the CDs anyways in case I need to reinstall). As it turned out, now I have lost several years' CDs. 

1. I have lost Tax year 2021 CD. This is the most pressing one/priority one.

2. I have also lost Tax years: 2019 and all prior years. These I can live without, if push comes to shove.

My question: How do I access my 2021 Tax return if need be (generally I refer back to at least 1-2 years prior when I am doing the current return - e.g., for Tax Year 2023, I may refer back to my 2022 and 2021 and now 2021 is missing) - if I don't have that on my laptop? Where can I get prior years - in this case 2021 CD?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

TurboTax 2021 CD

By chance do you still have the installation file on the old computer that was downloaded from the CD ?  If so simply save that to a thumb drive to move to the new computer like you did with the PDF and .taxfiles.  

TurboTax 2021 CD

It's always a good idea to make a backup copy of your tax data file, in case your original gets lost or corrupted. Here's how:

1. From the File menu in the upper-left corner of TurboTax, choose Save As (Windows) or Save (Mac).
  2. Browse to where you want to save your backup.
    • Tip: If you're saving to a portable device, save it to your computer first to prevent data corruption. Then, after completing Step 4, copy or move the backup file to your device.
  3. In the File name field, enter a name that will distinguish it from the original tax file (for example, add "Backup" or "Copy" to the file name)
  4. Click Save and then close TurboTax.
  5. Restart TurboTax and open the backup copy to make sure it's not corrupted. If you get an error, delete the backup and repeat these steps.

If you make changes to your original tax return file, repeat these steps to ensure your original and backup copies are in-synch.

Related Information:                             

AND save it as a PDF so you have access to a copy even if you don’t have the program still installed and operational :

AND protect the files :

TurboTax 2021 CD

Of course, you could also just buy a new download installation file to read the 2021 data if you don't have the PDF files.   You would then need to start a dummy file to download whatever state(s) you may need before you try to open the older 2021 datafile.

Buying a downloaded 2021 installation file doesn't depend on any new laptops having a physical CD drive too.....adn you can then download the file again if needed for 3-4 years (depending on what year is involved)

TurboTax 2021 Prior Year Tax Prep - File Past Years' Taxes (intuit.com)

_________

Of course, if you bought the CD, but then used the download option to get that TTX installation file instead, then you may already have a 2021 installation file within an existing TTX account that you could use now.....but not if you actually used the CD itself to install 2021.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

TurboTax 2021 CD

I have saved the final versions of pdf files (which are nothing but the tax return reports) for the years I am interested in (past 6-7 years for example). 

I have saved each of those .tax files as well as .pdf files

What I do not have backed-up are the installation files - because I didn't know how to back them up and/or figured I had the CDs (which now I have realized that I have misplaced them). 

I do have the old hard drive handy that I can hookup as a zip drive to my laptop currently. Assuming the installation files are there on that hard drive, where and what files (file name patterns/file paths/file name extensions etc.), am I looking for?

Thanks,

TurboTax 2021 CD

I doubt the actual .exe installation file is on that old drive....unless you actually copied the .exe installation file from the CD and onto the drive as a separate step.

The installation uses that .exe file to load a bunch of operational files onto your computer, from within the .exe file gibberish....just copying those offloaded files to your new setup won't get the software to work.....AND, you may well need the 16 digit installation code from off the physical CD itself to get it running anyhow.....and you don't have the CD anymore. 

(I make copies of my all TurboTax  installation codes in a .txt file....& print out each year, in case I need them in the future.)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

TurboTax 2021 CD

Contact TurboTax support and speak directly with a TurboTax support agent concerning this situation.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for a contact link and hours of operation -https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

TurboTax 2021 CD

BUT...who knows for sure....a programing expert might, but not likely in here:

anyhow, the main files (and additional subdirectories) I readily see that the installation .exe file created and installed, are in:

C:/Program Files (x86)/TurboTax/Individual 2021

...but I have no idea where they are supposed to end up the W11 directories, unless they are arranged similarly.

TurboTax 2021 CD

Thanks for trying...After I posted my question where to find the installation files, I was able to locate them on my old hard drive and copied them to the new hard drive and tried to install. That errored out saying 'CD is corrupt'. Besides, even if that install had succeeded, as you pointed out in your later post(s), I wouldn't have been able to circumvent the license key issue (which was on the CD/cover/sleeve itself). 

But the good news is, I did find my CD and was able to install (and activate) it. One thing to keep in mind though, the install I tried via the installation files being copied had left some remnants and the install via CD didn't work either at the first attempt. I had to run the uninstall first and then install via CD. 

Sharing my feedback with the hopes that it helps other, for what it is worth.

Again, thank you for your prompt responses. 

TurboTax 2021 CD

Back then you should have registered the account ... see if you can get it again.   OR contact TT support to get a download pushed your way.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for license code - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/i-can-t-find-my-license-code/01/852973

Contact TurboTax support and speak directly with a TurboTax support agent concerning this situation.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for a contact link and hours of operation -https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies