turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

BEA999
Returning Member

TURBO TAX BUSINESS - SIMPLE TRUST - 1041 - K1 LINE 14H

For all my prior years 1041's - The "PASSIVE LOSS" accumulated at the trust level and did not "pass thru" to me  (which I am fine with it staying there). But for this year (tax year 2020) the k1 produced has all boxes empty (just like prior years) but showed the total loss in box 14  H  $2,027. It didn't make sense that it was a "positive" number but after redoing/reviewing the tax return several times I continued ON with my personal tax return 1040, I entered the 1041 K1 box 14H just as it was shown but when I reviewed the 1040 I see that it  added the (loss) amount to form 8960 to my investment income (increasing my "total investment income") and calculated the tax I owe on that loss.   This doesn't make sense to me. Can somebody explain this to me?. I was happier with a "completely"  blank K1!!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
M-MTax
Level 10

You must have made a distribution or else the software is screwed up. Line 14H is an 8960 adjustment that increases your NIIT liability. 

BEA999
Returning Member

Thank you for replying. There was no distribution or anything different from prior years. Just plain old real estate rental losses.
I’ll call turbo tax tomorrow. thanks again 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies