Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Trying to file an amended 2021 return but Turbotax asking me to sign date between 1/1/2022 to 12/31 2022. Does not accept 5/22/2023. IRS website says its allowing software providers to file amended returns

Trying to file an amended 2021 return 1040-X but in very last step before transmitting Turbotax Desktop (MAC version) asking me to sign date between 1/1/2022 to 12/31/ 2022. Does not accept 5/22/2023. Also rejecting current payment date.  IRS website says it is allowing software providers to file amended returns. 

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/electronic-filing-e-file

"You can file Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return electronically with tax filing software to amend tax year 2019 or later Forms 1040 and 1040-SR, and tax year 2021 or later Forms 1040-NR."

Is this a software issue that Turbotax need to update since IRS feature is recent Feb 9th 2023.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/new-irs-feature-allows-taxpayers-electronically-filing-amended-returns-...

Would be great this update for all relevant previous years.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Trying to file an amended 2021 return but Turbotax asking me to sign date between 1/1/2022 to 12/31 2022. Does not accept 5/22/2023. IRS website says its allowing software providers to file amended returns

A 2021 amended tax return using TurboTax cannot be e-filed. 

Nor can you use direct debit for the taxes owed.

You need to change to File by Mail and pay the taxes owed by check to be included with the mailed tax return.

Although the IRS allows it the TT program doesn't support efiling of prior year returns after the tax year efiling season closes at this time.  Your only choice will be to choose the mail in option.  

ArtCB
Returning Member

I am having the same issue but... TT says the date of signature must be between 1/1/2022 and 12/31/2022.  I am wondering, since I am getting an additional refund an earlier date will only result in my getting a lower amount of interest from the IRS, what does TT Staff think will happen if I put my signature date as 12/31/2022?  It would seem that the eFile would be then accepted by the IRS and my only loss is lower interest added to my refund?  Thoughts from anyone??

@ArtCB Give up and mail your amended return.  Changing the date of the signature is not going to help you e-file a 2021 return.  E-filing is closed for that tax year.   

Only certain paid tax pros can still e-file past year amended returns. You cannot e-file an amended 2021 return that you prepared yourself using TurboTax.  Your 1040X must be printed, signed and dated in ink, and then you need to mail it in.  Use a mailing service like certified mail so you will know the IRS received it, since you will have a long wait for it to be processed.

You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
ArtCB
Returning Member

XmasBB.  Thanks for the feedback and quick response.  Bummer that TT cant process electronically even though they claim it can be efiled.  Grrr

Now that it's clear Turbotax 2021will not allow e-filing of 2021 1040-X.  I wanted to make sure Turbotax address was correct.

I noticed the address generated by turbotax cover page for mailing is not consistent with the one on IRS website. See link

https://www.irs.gov/filing/where-to-file-addresses-for-taxpayers-and-tax-professionals-filing-form-1...

I am getting the Austin address which is definitely not the right one for my location.

Use the address on the IRS website ... although TX is always good as well.  

Thank you for the quick feedback.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies