- Open TurboTax 2019.
- It's important that you open your 2019 return in your 2019 version of TurboTax. It won't work in other year versions.
- Select Amend a return (make changes) after it was filed and accepted by the IRS.
- Select Continue on the We'll help you change (amend) your return screen.
- On the following screen, Did you already file your return? select Yes, I've already filed my return, then select I need to amend my 2019 return and Continue.
- Now, make an "amend" copy your return by selecting Save As (Mac: select Duplicate) from the File menu. This preserves the return you originally filed.
After launching the TurboTax program, you can either:
- Click Continue under the return you want to open, or
- Select Open Tax Return from the File menu (Windows) or TurboTax menu (Mac), browse to the location of your .tax or tax data file (not the PDF), select it, and then select Open.