Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If my bankruptcy is still showing on my record from 2011/2012, am I required to report the 1099-C info I received for 2018?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

If my bankruptcy is still showing on my record from 2011/2012, am I required to report the 1099-C info I received for 2018?

Report to whom? The IRS? The Bankruptcy Court?

Sorry, to the IRS with an amended return. I received a late 1099-C.
Carl
Level 15

This is practically an impossible call really. Is the debt forgiven related to the bankruptcy? What kind of forgiven debt is the 1099-C for? Credit card debt? Foreclosure on real estate? Something else? most importantly, in the 1099-C a tax year "2018" 1099-C? Or some other tax year?

The 1099-C is supposed to be issued as of the date of a qualifying event that makes the debt uncollectible.  If this debt was discharged in bankruptcy that was final/closed in 2012, then that was presumably the date.  (If it was a reorganization bankruptcy, things may be more complicated.)

But that just means this was 2012 income, and if you amend to report it in 2012, you will owe tax plus late penalties and interest.  Not reporting it at all might get you off (since 2012 is past the audit deadline) or it might get you in front of the Tax Court.  It’s not a simple situation.  

It also depends on what the debt was.  There are special rules for foreclosure of your main home where you lived.  
Anonymous
Not applicable

however, if additional debt was discharged in 2018, then the 1099-c would be proper.  taxability becomes the question and for that seek professional advice.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies