turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

belote17

It's been over 48 hours since I e-filed my return. It still hasn't been accepted or rejected but a friend who filed AFTER me has already been accepted. What's going on?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

It's been over 48 hours since I e-filed my return. It still hasn't been accepted or rejected but a friend who filed AFTER me has already been accepted. What's going on?

This is not uncommon. Since everyone's tax situation will vary and no two returns are the same; when everyone gets approved will also vary. And you can find more details on that here Why do some refunds take longer than others?

The IRS may also be working on a backlog of returns at this time, so it can sometimes take longer than the initial 24-48 hours before you know if they have accepted or rejected your return. This generally happens around this time when e-filing first opens with them. Patience is key when dealing with the government. And the state will remain pending until the IRS accepts your federal return. 

As long as it's pending, you know that it's still on the way to them. But you will get an email when your return goes from pending status to Accepted or Rejected

Also, once you've been accepted, wait at least 24 hours before you use the IRS Where's My Refund? site. If you jump the gun, you may be told – incorrectly – that you never filed. And state can be tracked by going here How do I track my state refund?

Please see below for more details. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies