turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I did temporary work as a florist delivery last year, and all I have to go on for payments are bank statements from last year, how do I file this?

Last year I had to do a lot to get by, and worked doing some contractor work (mostly Florist Delivery). I signed a paper stating I was responsible for handling doing all tax paperwork and will not be receiving any forms, so all I have to go on are bank statements from last year.

Unfortunately, my bank did a complete overhaul so while I have the statements of payment, all checks put into my account are just labeled as "DEPOSIT", which is a problem since I also sold some property to make ends meet in that time frame. Is there any way I can just add up all of these deposits and report income that way? I'm willing to answer any questions regarding this that I need to. Thanks!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

I did temporary work as a florist delivery last year, and all I have to go on for payments are bank statements from last year, how do I file this?

You will be paying a lot of tax on amounts that are not income. Federal Income Tax is based on your taxable income and Social Security and Medicare are 15.3% of your profit. 

If you made more than $600 at any one establishment, they are required to issue you a 1099-Misc. You might threaten to report them.

Penalties for not issuing Form 1099-MISC

People and companies that make payments of miscellaneous income to individuals must give the payee Form 1099-MISC by the end (in most cases) of February of the year following the tax year in which the income was paid. However, if the payment is for non-employee compensation to be shown in box 7 of Form 1099-MISC, then it is required to be filed by January 31st. For example, if you received miscellaneous income in 2016 that is non-employee compensation, the paying institution or individual must issue Form 1099-MISC by January 31, 2017. If the institution fails to do so, the penalty against the company varies from $30 to $100 per form ($500,000 maximum per year), depending on how long past the deadline the company issues the form. If a company intentionally disregards the requirement to provide a correct payee statement, it is subject to a minimum penalty of $250 per statement, with no maximum.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

You will be paying a lot of tax on amounts that are not income. Federal Income Tax is based on your taxable income and Social Security and Medicare are 15.3% of your profit. 

If you made more than $600 at any one establishment, they are required to issue you a 1099-Misc. You might threaten to report them.

Penalties for not issuing Form 1099-MISC

People and companies that make payments of miscellaneous income to individuals must give the payee Form 1099-MISC by the end (in most cases) of February of the year following the tax year in which the income was paid. However, if the payment is for non-employee compensation to be shown in box 7 of Form 1099-MISC, then it is required to be filed by January 31st. For example, if you received miscellaneous income in 2016 that is non-employee compensation, the paying institution or individual must issue Form 1099-MISC by January 31, 2017. If the institution fails to do so, the penalty against the company varies from $30 to $100 per form ($500,000 maximum per year), depending on how long past the deadline the company issues the form. If a company intentionally disregards the requirement to provide a correct payee statement, it is subject to a minimum penalty of $250 per statement, with no maximum.

This helped me get back on track to getting taxes done, thanks! When I brought up the 1099 form they figured out that they had misfiled some of the checks that had been payed to me and are sending it now.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies