turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How long does it generally take for the IRS to review audit documentation and release a refund?

I was selected for audit for my 2016 tax return prior to my refund being approved/released. I had the option to mail or fax my documentation. I faxed 86 pages including all my records for my income (I babysit), a letter from my church verifying my children resided with me alone, and a letter from my children's father verifying I am the primary custodian and supporter of them. Generally speaking, how long after documentation is submitted should I hear something? This is the 1st year I have been audited and nothing has changed except my filing status. I filed single instead of head of household this year because I did not keep all the records needed to file HOH (in case of review). 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
lesssj

How long does it generally take for the IRS to review audit documentation and release a refund?

This exact same situation I am in right now. Do you know how long it took?

Only the IRS can provide you a time-frame on when that will happen. Audit wrap-up time can vary depending on the type of audit it is and the complexity of the issue at hand since they have to check your financial information and make sure you reported the correct amount of tax. 

Once the IRS completes the audit process, then they issue your refund. You can see more details on audits here IRS Audits

And in the meantime, keep an eye out at Where’s My Refund? for updates to your status there as well.