Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The wheres my refund website is showing that there will be an offset to my federal refund and I have called the 1-800# it tells me and it finds nothing with my social

Can this be an error? Does this put off my refund date?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
CathyB

The wheres my refund website is showing that there will be an offset to my federal refund and I have called the 1-800# it tells me and it finds nothing with my social

If the refund website indicates there will be an offset to your federal refund and you have already called, you can expect a notice from the IRS that will explain the offset. The information below also explains how to respond to the IRS if you believe this offset is an error.

According to the IRS website:

"BFS (Bureau of the Fiscal Service) will send you a notice if an offset occurs. The notice will reflect the original refund amount, your offset amount, the agency receiving the payment, and the address and telephone number of the agency. BFS will notify the IRS of the amount taken from your refund once your refund date has passed. You should contact the agency shown on the notice if you believe you don't owe the debt or if you're disputing the amount taken from your refund. If you don't receive a notice:

• Contact the BFS's TOP call center at 800-304-3107 or TDD 866-297-0517, Monday through Friday 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST.
  • Contact the IRS only if your original refund amount shown on the BFS offset notice differs from the refund amount shown on your tax return."

You can also visit their website at this link: IRS Topic Number: 203 – Refund Offsets

ct634

I had my refund garnished, but was not aware it was going to be garnished until the day they gave me my deposit date, 24 days after the taxes had been accepted. I still haven't received a notice about anything.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It could take up to 30 days to recieve your notice regarding your adjusted refund amount. See this FAQ regarding Refund offset.

No one actually answered the question... I have same issue/question. I also called the 1-800# and was also told I had no debit.

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

TurboTax is not connected to the IRS or state department(s) of revenue refund tracking tools. We don't receive real time updates from the IRS.

You will need to track your refund on the Santa Barbara Bank website to get that information. TurboTax does not receive your refund from the IRS. You can track your refund at the Santa Barbara website by clicking here

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Iron2323

Did you ever figure this out. Im in a similar situation 

The IRS has a Where's My Refund tracking tool.  This might be your best bet for tracking your refund.  Here is the direct link to the source:

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

@Iron2323

Call the TOP...Treasury Offset Program.  They will let you what is being offset.  Or it is due to uncollected outstanding debts owed to the IRS.  TOP does not give out information for IRS collections, so when you call them it might still tell you that you don’t have any outstanding bills.

When will I receive the amount of my offset? I hadn’t received my stimulus so the added the 2nd round stimulus of 600 in with my refund I owe child support but from what I’ve heard they can’t take the 600 just the rest of it

@MichaelHiggins1190 wrote:

When will I receive the amount of my offset? I hadn’t received my stimulus so the added the 2nd round stimulus of 600 in with my refund I owe child support but from what I’ve heard they can’t take the 600 just the rest of it

If you received the second stimulus payment it cannot be seized for back child support.

However, if you are eligible for the Recovery Rebate Credit on your 2020 federal tax return, the credit is included with the federal tax refund and that refund can be seized for back child support owed.

Right.  So I gathered that but how the hell do I figure out why I owe the IRS!!  They never answer 

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

If the IRS had to make adjustments to your tax return, you would receive a letter in the mail with an explanation. Please refer to the following FAQ. 

What is a refund offset? 

There are Taxpayer Advocates available to help assist with issues with your tax return. Here's the link to contact them.  

Taxpayer Advocate  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies