Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The last edits did not save, and when returning to continue working on the return, it showed it was already 'filed by mail', so how do you change it?

After trying to work on the tax return (and wanting to see the pdf which requires selection of file by mail or file by efile, along with payment first!), and coming back to it, it did not save the latest changes.  And now when logging into it from mobile device, it's not allowing any further edits, as if it's only available to download pdf , even though earlier changes (after and between multiple pdf views and downloads) were saving, but the last one wasnt.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

The last edits did not save, and when returning to continue working on the return, it showed it was already 'filed by mail', so how do you change it?

To change a return If you haven't mailed or efiled yet, see

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/i-want-to-change-a-return-i-ve-printed-but-haven-t...

If you haven't efiled or mailed your return or it rejected you can go back in to finish and change anything you want.  Do not click on Amend!

Click on Add a State to let you back into your return.

From Tax Home (the first screen you see after you sign in), scroll down to Your tax returns & documents. You may have to select Show to open the drop down.

Select 2021, and then select Add a State (you're not actually adding a state, this is just the workaround).

Then when you are ready to file you can try to switch to efile.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/e-file/help/how-do-i-change-from-mail-to-e-file-in-turbotax-online...

Review shows an error because I indicated 1099-R withdrawals were for a disaster. But I checked that it was NOT. I also checked what part was an RMD, but on review it looks like I did not answer the question. Print out hard copy also includes Disater forms.  Should I just file in hard copy. That is not what I paidfor.

I returned and made edits several times. Nothing changes in the 1099-R section. The rest is okay. But ity shows 1099-R  was for a disaster, which it was not. 

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

If you didn't take a disaster distribution in 2022 or in previous years then you can remove the Form 8915-F by deleting  "Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Distribution and Repayment Worksheet":

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the left menu, select "Tax Tools" and then "Tools".
  3. In the pop-up window Tool Center, select "Delete a form".
  4. Select "Delete" next to "Form 8915-F" and "Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Distr" and follow the instructions.

If your return states "Ready to mail" then please see How do I change from mail to e-file in TurboTax Online? to open it back up.

@jrcrc767184 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

WOW! I would have never figured that out on my own. I made an input error and should have been able to do a simple edit. By starting a new return, and substituting the new return for the previous return, and being careful  to not make the same input error again (answered Yes instead of NO) I got the job done. But I will make a note to myself that if, in the future, I am stuck with a form that does not apply, that I can delete it. Thanks. ps: The dollar figure for my refund never changed. I just could not get rid of the darn error message. Thanks - Jim

FYI - If you edit or review a 1099R it does not keep your answers from before but resets them to the defaults. Then you have to go through and answer them all again. So be sure to go all the way to the end of the 1099R section. They are right unless you go back.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies