Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Shirmarie5
Returning Member

The IRS sent me a letter asking me to verify my Identity Why??

Why i need an identity pin with irs 

To get my refund i never received 

Any pin number do you know of 

One i received 

I finally found some help on this issue. How it will eventually resolve and how long it might take is yet to be determined but it's a huge step in the right direction.

Go To  IRS.gov

In the upper right you will see a box for Search

In the search box type FORM 911 (its important to have the space between FORM  and 911)

This will take you to a page where you can open up a Form 911 which is the form you need to make an official request for Taxpayer Advocate service assistance.

It only takes a few minutes to fill out and then you have to fax it to the number of your State's  Taxpayer Advocate Service. 

The link to the site with those fax numbers is in the FORM 911.

I called Taxpayer Advocate Services 2 days ago and left a message. They called me back this morning (1 day ahead of the 3 days they said it would take) and I have already completed and faxed the form.

They stated someone would respond in 5 days of receipt of the fax.

And I did also confirm  my stimulus payment is being held up due to the Unresolved ID Verification Issue.

I have yet to hear from TurboTax as to why there is nothing in their software to address different address issues between your current mailing address and the address on the W2.

I'll update this thread as soon as I hear back from TAS.

Im in the same situation.  I filed March 7th...received letter to verify identity...but no way to do it...call centers closed and I have no loans, etc.  Still waiting on my refund and stimulus.

Same here...

Hello! I know this is an old post but its exactly what I am going through right now. Your post is one of the only posts ive seen that the issue was resoleved. How long did it take to receive your taxes after it was resolved?

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

@htester1989

What is the issue you are experiencing?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The Irs sent me a letter questioning my identity. They are holding back my federal income tax. Is this due to my change of e-mail. Maybe forgetting my password. Or recognizing my employers ID.How can we assist the irs. Turbo tax did my taxes for 2020. How can I prove these are my taxes to them

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

The IRS will send you this letter if your name or Social Security number have been used to file a fraudulent return.  This step is taken to safeguard your information.

Please see the link below for more guidance to help you reply.

How to handle identity verification requests from the IRS

@rot10shorts

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I just received IRS form 3531 Request for Signature or Missing Info to complete return for last year. I filled with Turbo Tax online and dont know why am I getting this either. What is going on?

@shoshanita wrote:

I just received IRS form 3531 Request for Signature or Missing Info to complete return for last year. I filled with Turbo Tax online and dont know why am I getting this either. What is going on?

The form is for many things.   What exactally do they want?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Two items are cheeked. Box 1, tax return doesnt show valid original signature, and item 4, requesting supporting entry for federal tax withheld. That would have been the info in the 1099. I am baffle by this as it never happened before and as I recall I followed all the directions and was told all was in order.

What form was the withholding reported to you on?   What type of 1099 (there are about a dozen)?   And what box on the 1099 was the withholding reported in?

If you e-filed then there is no missing signature, but they probably want you to sign when you return the information about the withholding.

This usually happens when the payer who did the withholding did not properly report it to the IRS so they cannot verify it.   This probably has nothing to do with you at all but the withholding was not credited to your account.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

The form sent back is a 1040-SR although as I mentioned it was Turbo Tax that sent it in and the line stating preparers, Firm's name says self prepared. If I did it online with Turbo Tax shouldn't TTax name be there?

Line 4 in the green form 3531 they attached is marked asking for documentation of federal tax withheld.

The payer that did the withholding is the same one as before. Maybe I should contact them about it.

@shoshanita wrote:

The form sent back is a 1040-SR although as I mentioned it was Turbo Tax that sent it in and the line stating preparers, Firm's name says self prepared. If I did it online with Turbo Tax shouldn't TTax name be there?

Line 4 in the green form 3531 they attached is marked asking for documentation of federal tax withheld.

TurboTax is a software company that sells do-it-yourself self prepared software.  You file the tax return yourself.

If you entered a W-2 and/or any 1099 form that had withholding that went on the 1040 form line 25 then they want a copy of those forms.    Just make a copy of them and return to the IRS at the address specified in the letter with a copy of the letter.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies