Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kjohns418

How do I find out if my parents filed for an educational credit with me as a dependent?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I find out if my parents filed for an educational credit with me as a dependent?

You would have to ask them, as the IRS system will only allow them access to this information and not you.

Only the return who claimed you as a dependent can take the education credit.  So if they claimed you as a dependent, and did not take the education credit, you would still not be able to claim it on your return.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

You would have to ask them, as the IRS system will only allow them access to this information and not you.

Only the return who claimed you as a dependent can take the education credit.  So if they claimed you as a dependent, and did not take the education credit, you would still not be able to claim it on your return.

kjohns418

I am not attempting to claim it on my return, I am amending my 2017 tax return to include a 1098-T, and one of the questions is "Did you ever receive the American Opportunity or Hope Credit?" with a note that says "Select yes if you were a dependent of a parent and the parent claimed one of these credits in a prior year". I attended college 2008-2012, they do not know if they claimed either credit in those years.

The best way to determine this would be to have your parents go to irs.gov and request a transcript if they do not have access to the 2008-2012 returns.  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript">https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript</a>
kjohns418

From my understanding you can only request the last three years, these are 7-10 years old. Can they still be requested for free?

Tax return and record of account transcripts are only available for the current tax year and three prior tax years when using Get Transcript Online. Note: There is a “show all +” expand button below the online tax account transcript type that may provide additional tax years you need. Otherwise, you must submit Form 4506-T to request a transcript for a tax year not available.

Tax return and tax account transcripts are also limited to the current and prior three tax years when using Get Transcript by Mail. However, you may be able to get older tax account transcripts by calling our automated phone transcript service at 800-908-9946. Otherwise, you must submit Form 4506-T.

The only reason your parents would probably NOT claim the education credits would be if their income was too high to take advantage of the education credits.   

If you cannot find your answer claim the credit and answer "no" to the question and then in the narrative on the 1040X write in that you said "no" as you were unsure if your parents claimed the education credit or not.  This would be
full disclosure" on your behalf.

The folks that work the 4506T are not working right now due to the government shutdown.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies