turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

marleycl

Hi I did TurboTax and for direct deposit gave routing number and account number but never asked for bank name ,So how is money gonna be direct deposit with no bank name???

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Hi I did TurboTax and for direct deposit gave routing number and account number but never asked for bank name ,So how is money gonna be direct deposit with no bank name???

The Bank routing number or routing transit number (RTN) is a nine digit number used to identify the financial institution in a transaction.

• When you input your Routing number that actually indicates which bank or institution the refund will be sent to. 
  • The Account number will then specify your specific account. 
Related Information:

View solution in original post

12 Replies

The Bank routing number or routing transit number (RTN) is a nine digit number used to identify the financial institution in a transaction.

• When you input your Routing number that actually indicates which bank or institution the refund will be sent to. 
  • The Account number will then specify your specific account. 
Related Information:
marleycl

Ok thank you

Your welcome.
natrubee

The wrong routing transit number was used and I need to identify the bank by name so that I can call and get the money returned to IRS so it can be sent to me.... how do I get the bank name?

For your refund?  If the wrong bank rejected the deposit they automatically sent it back to the IRS.  Then the IRS will mail a check to the address on your return.  You don't have to do anything.

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

@VolvoGirl is correct - you do not need to do anything.

But If you have the routing number you entered and still want the name of the bank, then go to ABA Routing Number Lookup.

This website allows for single lookups of routing numbers. It is intended for use by individuals who need to look up their financial institution’s routing number. Users of this service are allowed no more than two lookups per day and are limited to ten lookups per month. 

natrubee

I tried the lookup but the routing number is not for that institution -- apparently a mutual funds type institution

Can you tell me the name of the bank?  Turbo Tax defaulted this info on my return.

natrubee

I do not have the name of the institution --- that is what I am trying to find out

Did you have the TT fees withheld from the federal refund ?    If so the information is for  the processing bank not yours.   Save a PDF of the return with the worksheets to see this information.  

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Then, please re-read @VolvoGirl 's post - "If the wrong bank rejected the deposit they automatically sent it back to the IRS.  Then the IRS will mail a check to the address on your return.  You don't have to do anything".

@natrubee wrote:

I do not have the name of the institution --- that is what I am trying to find out

Then go to this website, agree to the conditions, enter the routing number and the name will be displayed - https://routingnumber.aba.com/default1.aspx#_ga=2.136772720.1914446735.1621030765-2101186079.1620757...

Do you have any investments?

One poster found this.....
The refund was sent to a bank I didn't recognize because Schwab where I have an account uses an intermediary bank, JP Morgan. So the refund was in my Schwab account which has little activity and I had not checked. I had not had a refund in so long, I did not remember the default account I had set up years ago for refunds.

And, I kind of remember seeing that posted before.  That if you import from a broker it mIght enter that as your Direct Deposit Info.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies