turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

maxwyzard

I forgot to put CA SDI on my tax return form

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Submitting the return for filing is just like dropping it into a mailbox - you can not get it back or change it.

Once you submit  and find that you need to make a change, you will have to wait until the IRS either accepts or rejects the return. If the return is rejected by the IRS, then you can make the necessary changes and resubmit it. If the return is accepted, then the only way to change it is to prepare an amended return and file it by mail.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Have you filed already?
maxwyzard

yes

Did you itemize?  The CASDI is a deductible state tax but *only* if you otherwise itemized instead of taking the standard deduction.   If you did not itemize, then it makes no difference if you entered it or not.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Or maybe they received SDI benefits.

CA Disability benefit payments received are not reportable.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I should say that is it taxable but only if received in place of unemployment insurance.

Per CA EDD

Disability Insurance (DI) benefits are not  reportable for tax purposes except when considered to be a substitute for unemployment compensation when paid to an individual who is ineligible for unemployment insurance (UI) benefits solely because of the disability. Only in this instance, where DI benefits are received in lieu of UI benefits, will the EDD provide the claimant with a 1099G form showing amounts paid which are reportable (no more than the original UI maximum) and forward a copy of the 1099G to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

Submitting the return for filing is just like dropping it into a mailbox - you can not get it back or change it.

Once you submit  and find that you need to make a change, you will have to wait until the IRS either accepts or rejects the return. If the return is rejected by the IRS, then you can make the necessary changes and resubmit it. If the return is accepted, then the only way to change it is to prepare an amended return and file it by mail.
maxwyzard

thanks
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies