turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amended Return & Forms

Hi, do I have to include any schedules for forms with an amended return. I just completed an amended return for my sister. She didn't claim her daughter's college expenses and also there was an error on form 2441 (Child Care) that was corrected. Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Amended Return & Forms

You have to include any forms or schedules that have changed from the original return, or are added. So you would have to include at least Form 8863 for the education credit and the corrected Form 2441 for child care. If any other forms or schedules change, include those as well.

An amended return has to be filed on a special form, Form 1040X. It cannot be e-filed. You have to print it, your sister has to sign it, and you have to file it by mail. It takes the IRS up to 16 weeks to process an amended return.

Don't file the amended return until your sister's original return has been accepted and she has received the original refund.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Amended Return & Forms

You have to include any forms or schedules that have changed from the original return, or are added. So you would have to include at least Form 8863 for the education credit and the corrected Form 2441 for child care. If any other forms or schedules change, include those as well.

An amended return has to be filed on a special form, Form 1040X. It cannot be e-filed. You have to print it, your sister has to sign it, and you have to file it by mail. It takes the IRS up to 16 weeks to process an amended return.

Don't file the amended return until your sister's original return has been accepted and she has received the original refund.

Amended Return & Forms

Thank you very much. This really helps.

Amended Return & Forms

I forgot to mention that my sister had won a prize and received a MISC 1099, which is being reported on the amended return. Does she have to include the MISC 1099 with 1040X? Thanks
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Amended Return & Forms

No, she does not have to include the 1099-MISC unless it shows federal tax withheld in box 4, which is very unlikely.

Since the prize is additional income, your sister will also have to file an amended state return if she is in a state that has income tax.

Amended Return & Forms

Thanks again.

Amended Return & Forms

My sister's daughter was not originally claimed on the tax return, but will be on the 1040X. This form does not list the dependent names and social security number. Does the daughter's information need to be included on an attachment? It is on form 8863 (Education Credits). Thanks
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Amended Return & Forms

The names and Social Security numbers of all dependents are listed on line 30 on page 2 of Form 1040X. This includes all dependents that were claimed on the original return, plus any dependents that are added on the amended return. TurboTax should take care of filling in this information for you. Just check before you mail the amended return to make sure they're all there.

Amended Return & Forms

Thanks again.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies