Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Taxes accepted still being processed?

What number did you call? I haven't been able to get a live person in the phone. My taxes were accepted on 2/12/21, but says my return is still being processed.

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

@Mollykaterod3742

Refund has been processed means that the IRS has approved and are ready to send you your refund.

Your return is being processed means that your tax return is being processed.

Your status should change from being processed to accepted and then a date will be given for your refund.

Keep checking the IRS website each day for that. 

How do I contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I didn't enter my ss and don't hit the options that say if you are calling about your refund or stimulus I believe I hit option for payments I just wanted to get someone one the phone and it worked but they still wasn't very helpful we are on march 24 and still no refund or updated information the number was [phone number removed]

HelenC12
Expert Alumni

It's extremely difficult to get through to the IRS. They're extremely busy.

The IRS doesn't share your information with us, so I can't tell you when you're going to receive your refund. However, you're not alone! The reason you haven't gotten your refund is because the IRS is working on sending out third stimulus payments and they've delayed processing 12 million regular returns. Some as far back as the returns filed in February. They hope to get through the backlog by summer.

Keep checking the  Where's My Refund? to see if your refund status has been updated. 

For other reasons why you may not have received your refund, please see What if my IRS refund is taking longer than 21 days? 

If you have a refund offset:

refund offset is when an IRS refund is reduced or intercepted to pay off delinquent debt, such as past-due child support, outstanding student loans, or unpaid state income tax.

• You'll get an explanatory letter from the Bureau of the Fiscal Service if your refund is offset. The remainder of your refund will be processed as usual. An offset shouldn't delay it, unless your entire refund was applied to your debt.
  • More info about refund offsets, including contact info and the appeals process, is available in IRS Tax Topic 203

I filed and I'm still waiting for payment what do I do now ? Says accepted yet if go to irs they say it's still being processed it's been well over a month like this what is going on n how do I fix it ...

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

There isn't anything to "fix" a return being accepted is the initial step and is not the same thing as your refund being approved. Due to the ongoing effects of the pandemic, the IRS is experiencing delays - unfortunately there is nothing anyone can do about it. Hopefully you will have an update soon @Killeendown.

Machhouse

I had issues with my return the last three years that I have used Turbo tax. I had absolutely  no issues before. For whatever reason the only correlation I am seeing, is if you e-filed with TurboTax...it’s like a punishment from the IRS to make you wait as long as humanly possible. I filed early, I had standard deductions, there’s No possible reason why it would be flagged or something, and it’s been almost 2 months now. Pandemic or not, the same thing has happened each year I use Turbo tax. 

UPDATE:  It is now April 2, 2021.  Still no refund.  I continue to check "where's my refund" everyday.  It always says the same thing: "still being processed".   I've called the IRS number at least 25 times in the last two weeks.  Always get the same recording "Due to extremely high volume, we cannot answer your call at this time.  Please call again..."

It didn't help that GOP slashed IRS budget because they were doing their job investigating tax exempt organizations who were violating the terms of tax exempt status. They rendered the IRS disfunctional as they are now doing the USPS.

markg51

Your link was no help at all

I did mines on 13th it was accepted as well and still waiting on my federal I got my state so I do t understand it 

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

@Marcella13

This is a very unusual year in several ways.  The IRS is inundated with requests for assistance due to the issuance of the Stimulus payments.  Your refund is pending because it was put on pause to allow the IRS to issue Stimulus payments.  It should be coming soon though becaus the Stimulus project is well underway.  There is nothing necessarily wrong with your tax information.

soomrous

Mine says the same thing it is almost 2 months but no update. I am not sure what is happening, a lot of people got their refund even they filed after me. I never experience this time of issue before. I would like to hear a solid answer. because right now the confusion is increasing every day that what is wrong with my return. 

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

According to this IRS update as of April 23rd:    

The IRS is now opening mail within normal timeframes. The IRS has also made significant progress in processing prior year returns. As of April 16, 2021, we had 1.5 million individual tax returns received prior to 2021 in the processing pipeline. Including current year returns, as of April 16, 2021, we had 16.1 million unprocessed individual returns in the pipeline. Unprocessed returns include those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.   

How long you may have to wait: The IRS understands the importance of timely processing of tax returns and refund issuance. We are processing returns received over the summer and fall in 2020 due to the extended July 15, 2020 tax filing due date. While the majority of 2019 refund returns have been processed, in some cases, we are processing tax returns that were mailed with a payment even though payment associated with these returns have been processed by the IRS. However, we are rerouting tax returns and taxpayer correspondence from locations that are behind to locations where more staff is available, and we are taking other actions to minimize any delays. Tax returns are opened in the order received. As the return is processed, it may be delayed because it has a mistake including errors concerning the Recovery Rebate Credit, is missing information, or there is suspected identity theft or fraud. If we can fix it without contacting you, we will. If we need more information or need you to verify that it was you who sent the tax return, we will write you a letter. The resolution of these issues depends on how quickly and accurately you respond, and the ability of IRS staff trained and working under social distancing requirements to complete the processing of your return.   

What you should do: If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s my refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. We’re working hard to get through the backlog. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.   

Jj0827
Returning Member

I read an article on msn stating the reasons the irs is behind on refunds reduced employees although when you go on the irs website and search open positions they not hiring so that’s bs , some of the printers are out of ink was another reason so a government ran agency can’t afford to buy ink, come on . This issue needs to receive country wide attention this is happening to millions of Americans and its completely unacceptable given this country’s current state , millions of people are in desperate need for what’s OWED TO THEM . 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies