Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: If I owe the irs money will they take my state return also?

I know it’s old but it may help someone else. TOPS can take from either your federal or state to pay an overdue debt. They usually pull from whichever comes through first, they check your information against a database. If you owe any federal or state debt then it pops up and they use whichever one they choose to satisfy that debt. If one isn’t enough they’ll pull the remainder from the other return. 

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

Tax Year Prior to 2020: If I owe the irs money will they take my state return also?

I would contact the IRS directly, to ensure how they will proceed. When calling the IRS do not choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.      

1. After first choosing your language, then do not choose Option 1 (refund info).  
  2. Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
  3. Press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".      
  4. Press 3 "for all other questions.
  5. Then press 2 "for all other questions
  6. When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don’t enter anything.      
  7. After it asks twice, you will get another menu.
  8. Then press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
  9. It should then transfer you to an agent.

You may also contact your state directly. You can find your state's contact information in the following link: How do I contact my state Department of Revenue?

@Creebug0809 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I just filed my SC 2022 tax return online through TurboTax I owe federal taxes and I’m do a refund for state taxes.  I set up direct withdrawal for federal and direct deposit for state after I completed,  e signed & submitted it.  It then showed my state return will go towards Federal owed & I will receive a deposit from the state of the difference

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

It appears your question did not post, can you please repost your question so that we can assist you?

@Montystacey 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Not true. I owed some state tax from last year, which was a tiny $52, and they took it all out of my federal refunded tax with the penalty as soon as I e-filed this year.

@Montystacey  @BullBearish 

At the end Turbo Tax just shows you the net federal and state combined. But that is only for your info. You will still get the full refund and need to pay a tax due. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies