Tax Withholding

jennair45

Tax Withholding

I received a letter from the IRS on November 13 questioning the amount listed in my return on Line 17, page 2 of my 1040, Federal Income Tax Withheld from forms W-2 and 1099.  The line has $280,503.  When I went back to my W-2's they show $270,046 for me and $5,867 for my spouse, total $275,913.  I don't recall entering any tax withholding from a 1099 in turbo tax.  Can you point out to me where the additional $4,590 might be so I can show IRS?  Please feel free to call me at [phone number removed] to discuss.  Thank you.

Tax Withholding

Did you use the Online or Downloaded version ?   If online did you save a PDF of the return with the worksheets before the online system closed ? 

Tax Withholding

To answer the question "where did this number come from" you need your tax data file and a copy of Turbotax installed on your own computer.  If you filed online using a paid version, call customer support to ask for a downloadable copy to install on your Mac or PC.  You can download your tax data file from your online account. If you filed using the program installed on your computer, you already have the program and data file.

Open your data file in the program and click the "Forms" button at the top to switch to Forms mode.  Go to form 1040 line 17, and double-click the number.  That should bring up a worksheet that shows where the total came from.  Double-clicking those numbers will take you to more specific worksheets for W-2s, 1099s, etc.

Tax Withholding

Look at your W-2 forms ... does that amount show up in box 12 ?  If so what is the code ?   You may have entered the wrong code in the program.  

Tax Withholding

Because $4590 is divisible by 9, I was also thinking of a transposition, but the possibilities don't seem to line up with the other numbers. 

jennair45

Tax Withholding

Thank you, got my answer.

Tax Withholding

Was it for the Additional Medicare tax on high earners (for wages)?

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Questions-and-Answers-for-the-Additio...

If you have a lot of investments or high income there is an Additional Medicare tax on Schedule 2 line 8 which goes to 1040 line 15.  That is offset with an extra amount on line 17 with withholding.