turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Tax refund

Thanks for your reply. But it still doesn't answer my question though.

If millions of people still are waiting for the 2020 tax refund, these people will use the Where's My Refund tool all the time to track their refund status. If something wrong with the Where's My Refund tool, most of them will run into the same issue like I have. So far I have not heard anyone run into the same issue like I have that the tool returned the message of "can't provide any information about your refund status". That tells that the tool is OK.  That means my tax record might have been changed unexpectedly during the end of 2021or beginning of 2022.  So when I use my SSN and filing information, the tool won't recognized it at all. This is like a puzzle to me.

Do you have any other suggestions other than sit and wait? Can I send a letter to IRS to report this issue if hard to talk to a real person over the phone? From my IRS online account, no way to send an email either.

Thanks in advance!

Tax refund

The WMR?  tool has been changed over to the 2021 tax year so you will no longer get updates on the 2020 return. 

Check your account transcripts instead :  

https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

If it has been shown up to now on the refund site then you know the IRS has your return and they are working on it.   

To call the IRS:IRS:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

Listen to each menu before making the selection.

First choose your language. Press 1 for English.

Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

TAX ADVOCATE

At the following IRS website, find the USA map and click on your state, and it will give you the number of your area's IRS Taxpayer Advocate.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-a-Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

Also see this article for more info on how the Taxpayer Advocate Service works::
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc104.html

Tax refund

Hi, I would like to share what I had these 2 days while trying to resolve my tax refund issue.  Hopefully other community members can benefit from it.

I called the phone number provided by you, plus the steps as listed below that I attained from the Google search. That is very helpful to reach an IRS staff.

"Call the IRS: [phone number removed] hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose  option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 4 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent. "

Called at 6pm, wait about 30 minutes. After I talked to an IRS staff over the phone. He told me to call another number as I tax record is held in that department. I then called the 2nd number at 7am next day, waited about 50minutes. A lady answered the phone and told me that my tax return was correct.  And that why my record was on hold. After explanation from my end, she said she will update it and I shall receive my refund in 60 days!!  I was happy as the issue is resolved.  She said it was correct that I made the calls, otherwise my tax record will be on hold for very long long time as IRS will not notify me due to security reason. 

I hope I am the only one who run into this. And hopefully the sharing above will bring light to others who are stuck in the tax refund.   Thanks.

Tax refund

."  my tax return was correct.  And that why my record was on hold. "

This doesn't make sense. You know your return was correct. That's not a reason to put your return on hold.

There must be some other reason it was on hold.

If returns that are on hold stay on hold, that would explain why the IRS backlog of unprocessed returns is not going down lately !

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies