turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

knairn513

For 2015 I thought I had to file an amended 2015 return shortly after eFiling. I was wrong. However, the amended numbers erroneously appear on the tax history worksheets

how do I get those numbers changed back to the original return AND I'm wondering if the IRS receives a copy of the tax history worksheets.  How do I void the amended numbers?  I don't want cause a lot of confusion.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
maglib
Level 10

For 2015 I thought I had to file an amended 2015 return shortly after eFiling. I was wrong. However, the amended numbers erroneously appear on the tax history worksheets

Sorry your are having problems but we hopefully have a solution here:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2552802-how-do-i-cancel-or-undo-an-amended-return-in-turbotax-onli...

the IRS only receives the documents in the return, they get no supporting schedules.
was I helpful?
**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
maglib
Level 10

Sorry your are having problems but we hopefully have a solution here:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2552802-how-do-i-cancel-or-undo-an-amended-return-in-turbotax-onli...

the IRS only receives the documents in the return, they get no supporting schedules.
was I helpful?
***Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
knairn513

by following the instructions outlined in the link you posted, I am taken to the 2016 return and not the 2015, which is the one I need to cancel.  When I go to the Tax Timeline and open the 2015 return, I am directed to download a .tax file.  I'm not sure I'm looking in the right place for the info you gave. ??
maglib
Level 10

you must have saved the amended return in 2015 and did not undo it.  Best thing is to start over and fix 2015  before starting 2016.  I have a question to other users in for you , if there is some easier way.
knairn513

thank you.  Because I'm not sure I'll have time to start over, and since the worksheets are not part of what is sent to the IRS (my biggest concern), can I do the "start over" after I file my 2016 return, and then get back to 2015 and cancel out the amended return?
maglib
Level 10

The issue is if any of the 2015 amounts carried into the 2016 return...   If you used desktop, you could override the carryforward worksheet easily with correct amounts from 2015.  The 2015 will impact you if you itemize, if you have a refund, if you paid estimates,.  Desktop TT has so much more functionality then online, desktop version, easy to go to the carrforward form and override the data.  The 2015 amended goes nowhere unless you submitted it.
knairn513

thank you.  I appreciate your help.  I'll probably just mail the return to insure that the tax history isn't sent as part of the return.  I've doublechecked the 2016 numbers and there are no numbers carried forward on 2016 return. Only that tax history worksheet. I think when I was informed that I wouldn't need the amendment, I went in to the original return and made adjustments because I couldn't figure out at the time, how to delete the amended forms. So that's probably why the only thing that hasn't changed is the tax history.  Not sure but it makes sense to my confused mind.  LOL  thanks again!
maglib
Level 10

tax history is not sent.... only required forms if you electronically file.  If your return is relatively simple, the only carryfwds normally or NOL carryforwards, estimated taxes, state and local tax deductions and most of them can be fixed during the interview. good luck.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies