Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Stimulus check - Accidentally checked the box "someone can claim me as a dependent" on taxes

There is nothing you can do but wait ... until the IRS processes the amended return (which can take 4 to 6 months) the stimulus will not be released.  

MaryS178
Returning Member

Stimulus check - Accidentally checked the box "someone can claim me as a dependent" on taxes

I am not required to file taxes as I receive SSI survivor benefits. How do we amend the dependent status in this situation? Thank you. 

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

If you are not required to file a return and you indicated that you were a dependent when you filed the non-filer report, there isn't anyway to correct this. 

You will need to file a 2020 tax return in 2021 to claim your economic impact payment.  

@MaryS178

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
MaryS178
Returning Member

If another round of stimulus money is issued will I have the same problem?

thank you I did the samething  findley back in may27th got a hold of someone that works for irs she said to send in 1040x and explain that no one can claim me that I accedley check the box and that I claim my self she that ill get the stimlulus check after 16weeks to 18weeks I was looking forward to that back in may I have cancer in the brain that wold of helped me I get age blind disabled but it only 182month and I put some wight on had to get some new pants and thangs that I need.

Well ... sad to say but the stimulus will not be released until the 1040X is processed and since the IRS didn't open any mail for more than 10 weeks and have just now stated opening the Millions of envelopes so it will take some time to o catch up.  Normally amended returns take up to 4 months to process however this year add another 2 month due to the virus shut down ... meaning don't expect anything until Thanksgiving and if the money shows up earlier be happy. 

Check the progress of the amended return once a week here :  https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

And for the future, no matter which DIY tax program you use,  READ the screens carefully and if you are not 100% sure of  something either click on the MORE INFO links or ask a question in the forum before you file the return so mistakes like this don't happen again. 

fatihsat
Returning Member

Hi there,

Unfortunately, I made the same mistake and claimed my wife as a dependent. 
I made this mistake in my 2018 taxes. In my 2019 taxes, I didn't do the same mistake, so 2019 is okay.
We still didn't get our checks.  

What should I do?
Should I amend my 2018 taxes to get our stimulus checks?

@SusanY1 

Thanks

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Yes, you need to amend 2018.  A spouse can never be a dependent.

See this TurboTax FAQ for help with amending.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Sad ... so few words on the screen yet users fail to read them ...  not sure how you can even get thru the dependent interview screens without entering incorrect answers ... the program works hard to keep you from making this mistake ...

1.png2.png3.png4 .png

fatihsat
Returning Member

Hi @Critter 

Thanks for your thoughts.
I usually do my taxes without reading them. I just hit random buttons. 

@fatihsat 

I Hope that was a joke ... if not then I urge you to take a legal document you sign "to be true and accurate"  under penalty of law more seriously. 

1....jpg

fatihsat
Returning Member

Dear @Critter,

People are trying to help each other here. 
Mistakes are for humans. 
Something might seem very simple to you but others can find it very difficult. 
Doing taxes is one of them.

I asked a simple question and I said I made a mistake and tagged that lady who is the moderator here I guess and I did that tagging for a reason obviously, right?

But you were like ...
 sad ......... so few words on the screen yet users fail to read them ....... not sure how you can even the get thru the dependant interview screen without entering incorrect answers.

None of us here need your thoughts really. 
So please, stop it.

@Critter @CatinaT1 thank you for the response,

I have filed my 2019 tax return correctly and I have one more question.

Will I be getting my first stimulus check or just the second one?

thank you.

Why it take 4 to 6 months

We’re u able to get it ?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies