Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Some how I have a self employment tax deferral and I don't want, how do I amend the federal return before filing?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

Some how I have a self employment tax deferral and I don't want, how do I amend the federal return before filing?

This would not be an amendment if you have not e-filed or mailed in your returns yet. You are simply just making a change before submitting your taxes.

You can delete your election to defer your self-employment taxes from your tax return. However, the credit you may be seeing is half of your self-employment tax that is deducted from your return. TurboTax will automatically deduct half of the self-employment tax. You can confirm this by going to Preview my 1040. On Line 14Deductible part of self-employment tax, in Part II, you will see half of your self-employment tax is deducted. 

If you need help previewing your 1040, please follow these steps in TurboTax:

1. Click on Tax Tools in the left column.
  2. Click on Tools.
  3. Click on View Tax Summary.
  4. Click on Preview my 1040 under 2020 Taxes in the left hand column. 

If the amount is not a deduction of half of your self-employment tax, please make sure to follow these steps in TurboTax to change your election:

1. Open your return.
  2. Click Federal on the left hand side. 
  3. Click Deductions and Credits on the top of the page.
  4. On the page Tax Breaks, scroll down until you see Tax relief related to Covid-19.
  5. Click Revisit next to Self-employment tax deferral
  6. Answer no to the question Do you want more time to pay self-employment taxes? 

"Employee Tax Expert LenaH"

skiforfun
Returning Member

I have this same question.  My deferral amount that I want to remove is separate from the half of my self employment tax.  I follow the steps given to answer No to wanting more time to pay self-employment tax, but TurboTax does not remove the deferral.  When I click No, the next screen says "It looks like you're not eligible for this deferral [because I'm getting a refund]."  I only get a refund when I apply the deferral, and I don't want to defer payment.  Do you have other ideas on how to remove the deferral amount?  Thanks.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Choosing no to the question Do you want more time to pay self-employment taxes? does not change the deferral amount to zero.  Any ideas on how to fix this? I do not want to defer the self-employment taxes

Batmom

I'm having the same issue and I want to have the taxes taken out now with my refund. I am trying to find where I entered the amount I made during those dates to adjust it to put them it all in the first part of the year (not the best option, but the only way I could think to adjust it) but I can't find that area.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JamesG1 provided an excellent solution as follows :

Your self-employment income may be eligible for a portion of your self-employment tax to be deferred.  See this TurboTax Help.

In TurboTax Online Self-Employed, I was able to enter a self-employment tax deferral and pass Review.  Then I was able to remove self-employment tax deferral and pass Review.

Follow these steps.

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • Across the top of the screen, click on Deductions  & credits.
  • Under Your tax breaks, scroll down to Self-employment tax deferral.
  • Click on Edit/Add to the right of Self-employment tax deferral.
  • At the screen Do you want more time to pay your self-employment tax?, click Yes.
  • At the screen Let's start by getting your eligible income, leave the dollar amount you previously entered.
  • Click on Continue.
  • At the screen Tell us how much you'd like to defer, change the dollar amount to $0.
  • Click Continue.
  • Click through Federal Review to make sure than the Review issue has been removed.
  • At the screen Some of your self-employment taxes may be eligible, click Skip.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies