turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I was told i can be reimbursed for my miles i commute to drill in the army reserves. 53.5 cents a mile with form 2106. but it did not increase my tax refund when i filled

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
HelenC1
Intuit Alumni

I was told i can be reimbursed for my miles i commute to drill in the army reserves. 53.5 cents a mile with form 2106. but it did not increase my tax refund when i filled

No, you don't get 53.5 cents per mile as a refund. The 53.5 cents per mile reduces your income that is taxable. If your income is low, this deduction from your income may have very little or no impact on your refund (or amount due), whichever is applicable.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
HelenC1
Intuit Alumni

Yes, you can deduct your mileage but you do not enter it on form 2106. Delete Form 2106 and start over following my instructions below. Your reservist mileage is entered on the Any Special Situations screen.

As a member of a reserve component of the Armed Forces, you can deduct all of your mileage as long as you travel more than 100 miles away from home, in connection with your performance of services as a member of the reserves.

• You can deduct your travel expenses as an adjustment to gross income rather than as a miscellaneous itemized deduction.
  • You can also deduct for lodging, meals, and incidental expenses and the standard mileage rate (for car expenses) plus any parking fees, ferry fees, and tolls.
  • The amount of expenses you can deduct is an adjustment to gross income reported on Form 1040, line 24. 

Enter your mileage as follows: 

1. On the left side, select Federal.
  2. Under the Deductions & Credits tab, select All tax breaks and scroll down to Employment Expenses.
  3. Scroll down to Job Expenses for W-2 Income and select Revisit.
  4. On the Job-Related Expenses Summary screen, edit your occupation.
  5. Continue with the on screen interview. On the any Vehicle Expenses or Sales? screen answer NO.
  6. On the Any Other Expenses? screen, enter any that apply and continue.
  7. On the Any special situations? screen, answer Yes.
  8. On the next screen, enter your Military reservist travel expenses (mileage).
  9. Continue with the onscreen interview until complete.

Related information: 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

so if i dont make alot of money because im in college.. Im not going to get the 54cents a mile back.

Only if all itemized deductions exceed the standard deduction will it be of benefit.

For 2017 the standard deductions are:

Single or filing Married Filing Separately - $6,350
Married Filing Jointly or Qualifying Widow(er) - $12,700
Head of Household - $9,350

(If over 65 or blind add $1,250 - $1,550 if filing single or HOH)

Not all itemized deductions count the full amount.  Medical expenses are reduced by 7.5% of AGI so if your AGI is $30,000, for example, then only medical expenses more than $2,250 would be an itemized deduction.

Likewise for miscellaneous deductions such as union dues, work related expenses, etc. are first reduced by 2% of AGI.

For example, If your AGI is $30,000 then 2% is $600 so if your job related expenses were $650, then only $50 would become an itemized deduction.

Also Itemized deductions start to phase out if AGI exceeds $155,650.

You can check the actual amount of itemized deductions by using the Search Topics for "itemized deductions, choosing" (under "My Account, Tools" in the online versions).    Click on "Change my deduction". That will display the actual amount of itemized deductions vs. the standard deduction.    (Be sure to uncheck "Change my deduction" after checking it so you do not lock in the wrong deduction.)
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies