Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I forgot to add an account (at loss) on my 1099B. I've already filed my Federal and state taxes. Can I just roll this over to next year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I forgot to add an account (at loss) on my 1099B. I've already filed my Federal and state taxes. Can I just roll this over to next year?

You can not.  Trades must be reported in the year executed.

You probably should amend

How to Amend (Change or Correct) a Return You Already Filed
http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/iq/Amend-a-Return/How-to-Amend--Change-or-Correct--a-Return-You-A...

You can always not amend of course.  If the IRS never picks up on the "missing" 1099-B then you simply lose the deduction you're entitled to from a security loss.  If the IRS does pick up on the missing 1099-B then you can either agree to pay the tax, (if the basis isn't reported they'll tax you on the proceeds), or amend at that time.

Tom Young

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You can not.  Trades must be reported in the year executed.

You probably should amend

How to Amend (Change or Correct) a Return You Already Filed
http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/iq/Amend-a-Return/How-to-Amend--Change-or-Correct--a-Return-You-A...

You can always not amend of course.  If the IRS never picks up on the "missing" 1099-B then you simply lose the deduction you're entitled to from a security loss.  If the IRS does pick up on the missing 1099-B then you can either agree to pay the tax, (if the basis isn't reported they'll tax you on the proceeds), or amend at that time.

Tom Young

So I added the short term losses (1099-B) that I missed, but my Federal and State returns are not showing any deduction at all. I have already received my Federal and State refunds, if this matters - I had overpaid on both in 2016. I do have other 1099-Bs that WERE included in the original filing, and they did affect my returns. Am I missing something here?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies